Sign in to follow this  
manton

screen shot using glReadPixels produces garbled image

I am having some with screen shots. The result I get looks like this: http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4997/imagexx7.png The screen image is fine at run time and the objects are drawn with display lists - I mention this as the output is fine with only the skybox which at this stage is drawn in immediate mode. The code that produced this soup is:
GLubyte* image;
image = new GLubyte[display_width * display_height * 3];
glReadBuffer(GL_BACK);
glReadPixels(0,0, display_width, display_height, GL_BGR, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image);

FILE   *out = fopen((image_dir+screen_shot_name + ".tga").c_str(), "w");
short  TGAhead[] = {0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, display_width, display_height, 24};
fwrite(&TGAhead, sizeof(TGAhead), 1, out);
fwrite(image, 3*display_width*display_height, 1, out);

All suggestions appreciated.

Since you're reading from the back buffer, are you calling this code BEFORE swapping buffers? After a buffer swap, the content of the back buffer is undefined, and you should then read from the rfont buffer.

Then I think you have to show more code. Can you produce a complete, MINIMAL, compilable and runnable example demonstrating the error? Remove anything that isn't relevant to the problem. Reduce the object to a single tringle, remove user interaction, don't use textures, anything as long as the problem is still there. Anything to reduce the amount of code.

Hmmm, I agree but it would be difficult to get the code down to be small enough to post as it would at least include SDL and the .obj loader that I have written.

I might play around with this a bit before trying to strip it down to that point as there are about 25 translation units...

Did you try to read the backbuffer before swapping? It should work.
glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1) is needed if you will use BGR

or don't call glPixelStorei and just use BGRA

What's you video card + drivers?

Quote:
Original post by manton
Hmmm, I agree but it would be difficult to get the code down to be small enough to post as it would at least include SDL and the .obj loader that I have written.

Why would you have to include the entire .obj loader? As I said, replace the object with a single triangle or something. That's, like, 5 small lines of code only. Handcoded coordinates; no need for dynamic loading of complex shapes in complex file formats. If the problem is still there, it doesn't matter what you draw.

SDL isn't so much code. Just open a window, draw a triangle, make the screen dump and exit the program.

Did you intend to write as binary instead? Opening a .tga file in notepad, it looks like it is in the binary format.

Try changing
FILE *out = fopen((image_dir+screen_shot_name + ".tga").c_str(), "w");
to
FILE *out = fopen((image_dir+screen_shot_name + ".tga").c_str(), "wb");

Can you also show us a picture of what its supposed to look like? Just use print screen instead.

[Edited by - ScottC on September 27, 2006 9:18:50 PM]

Thanks all! I am happy to say that the problem is solved.

ScottC pointed out that I was writting to the file in the default open mode, which in my case was not binary.

For you enjoyment this is what a screen shot through the app now looks like

thanks again to all :)