Data Mining Applications

Started by
1 comment, last by alvaro 17 years, 6 months ago
Can anyone think of any specific data mining applications that I would be able to develop from now until July? I'm trying to do something in which there is predictive modelling, with an emphasis on AI, neural networking and machine learning. There has to be some complex coding involved and I know how to use Java, C++, Prolog, some SQL and Haskell. I know there are many ideas such as fraud detection, direct marketing etc. but I really need to see a specific application for this project I'm going to do. Thank you.
Advertisement
Is it supposed to be an original application or could it be an investigation of proven techniques? If it's the latter, look into Credit Assessment. Artificial Neural Networks have been successfully trained to accurately assess credit worthiness of applicants and there are, I believe, several commercial systems out there relying on this architecture.

If it's the former, then just pick a data mining domain that you're interested in and for which you can get appropriate data sets.

Cheers,

Timkin
They just posted this in Slashdot. It looks like just what you were looking for. Enjoy.

[EDIT: If you don't want to follow the link, the story says that Netflix has made available available a database of 100 million movie ratings by customers, and is challenging people to try to make a better model of what movies a particular customer is likely to enjoy, given the database and the history of that customer.]

[Edited by - alvaro on October 2, 2006 4:37:45 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement