Sign in to follow this  

finding angle...

This topic is 4096 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. Please help, i'm dowe with some coding and my head is really going crazy, but i need to solve last thing today, so: please, look here: sin(angle)=result. If i know the result, how i can find the angle ? Actually i need this formula. Big, big thanks, if you help me!

The function 'asin' (called 'arcsin'/'arcsine', or 'inverse sine') is indeed what you're after, but here are a few things to bear in mind:

Beware that while 'sin' is defined everywhere on the real line (in fact, the complex plane, but I doubt your implementation goes that far), 'asin' requires a value between -1 and 1.

Moreover, asin(sin(x)) != x in general. Although, this equality is true taken modulo 2Pi. The reason for this is that sin(x) = sin(x + 2Pi) and so, arcsin can't differentiate the result. Your arcsin may procuce output in the range [0, 2Pi] or [-Pi, Pi] (or, conveivably something else). If this is important, find out which.
If you'll only be calling asin on values that were calculated using sin from a value in this range, you'll have no problems.

Regards
Admiral

This topic is 4096 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.