Sign in to follow this  
Zaku

better for BROWSER mmos?

Python can't be used directly in a web-page (though you can use it server side).

Basically if you want to write something interactive that's within a webpage you have a few choices, javascript, Flash and Java (There's ActiveX as well but it isn't as widely used as the previous 3). For the server side you can use pretty much anything. What to choose depends upon what you actually want to do.

It's been bugging me after looking over Zaku's post history. It appears, based on what you have posted over a week, that you do not have any programming experience. You ask alot of questions in the vein of "what is better" such as what compiler is better and what programming language is best. It all seems to revolve around one common theme, "what is the fastest possible way for me to make a mmo with no experience".

You remind me of myself back in '99 thinking I can make a mmo out of nowhere, ask my friends to help me, and thousands of people will be playing and praising me for my awsome game as I compete against NCSoft's Lineage (a very early Korean MMORPG). I'm glad I didnt have access to forums like gamedev back then (they may not have been around then), because I know I would have been asking all the wrong questions and annoying everyone. The reality is, this is NOT POSSIBLE. There is no shortcut to the complexity in a mmorpg.

My advice, stop thinking about mmorpg's entirely. Forget about the fame and fortune of a one man developed game with no programming knowledge in only two years, forget about server hardware and bandwidth costs, all of it. You need to learn how to program, which means learning how to program and not sitting around asking what is the best for an mmo. Learning a first language is likely to be a long process in and of itself. Learning how to apply it to games is going to be a whole new process, and by that point, you'll understand why games take so long to be made by talented developers.

I'm not saying it's an impossible dream, but you are approaching this with the wrong mindset.

Quote:
Original post by Zaku
is python effective in browsers too?

I use python/CGI on my site and it works fine.

Are you trying to make a textbased game or what? We need more details about your game.

Quote:
Original post by Necrosis
It's been bugging me after looking over Zaku's post history. It appears, based on what you have posted over a week, that you do not have any programming experience. You ask alot of questions in the vein of "what is better" such as what compiler is better and what programming language is best. It all seems to revolve around one common theme, "what is the fastest possible way for me to make a mmo with no experience".

You remind me of myself back in '99 thinking I can make a mmo out of nowhere, ask my friends to help me, and thousands of people will be playing and praising me for my awsome game as I compete against NCSoft's Lineage (a very early Korean MMORPG). I'm glad I didnt have access to forums like gamedev back then (they may not have been around then), because I know I would have been asking all the wrong questions and annoying everyone. The reality is, this is NOT POSSIBLE. There is no shortcut to the complexity in a mmorpg.

My advice, stop thinking about mmorpg's entirely. Forget about the fame and fortune of a one man developed game with no programming knowledge in only two years, forget about server hardware and bandwidth costs, all of it. You need to learn how to program, which means learning how to program and not sitting around asking what is the best for an mmo. Learning a first language is likely to be a long process in and of itself. Learning how to apply it to games is going to be a whole new process, and by that point, you'll understand why games take so long to be made by talented developers.

I'm not saying it's an impossible dream, but you are approaching this with the wrong mindset.

you misunderstand, im just trying to learn more about allt he different languages and getting more konwledge on them. i know mmos need a lot of knowlende of languages, im just asking questions to know more aobut it. im not trying to jump into mmo programming out of the blue, if that what ur thinking.
i just want to know which programming language is right for me

[Edited by - Zaku on September 28, 2006 7:07:28 PM]