Terrain rendering

Started by
4 comments, last by glsensor 17 years, 6 months ago
Hello everyone :) I have searched for some terrain demos for days now, but I can't find any at all, that are developed using d3d9! I looked at this one, http://www.gamedev.net/columns/hardcore/geomorph/default.asp. Really good article and I think I understand the theory but I have not a clear picture of how to implement it using d3d9 (or any other api). The demo coming with the article is using d3d8 and also embedden in an engine, so too much for me to figure out I think :( So, my question is, how can I do this? I really want to get some nice terrain up and running :) Do you know of any tutorials (good and practical ones) which also contain code sample (not required), or maybe you got some code for me to start with. I'm really sorry for asking this much, but I don't have the time to do research about this for weeks, this is just for a spare-time project :) Thanx in advance!
_____________________Lecturer at Blekinge Institute of Technology
Advertisement
Here's one
Basically what you have to do is set a vertex buffer with the terrain points (Vertices)( you can get them from a file, like the sample above ) and the set an index buffer.

Then you can set a texture ( or multitexure if you want to )
and then you just draw the index buffer.

My reply is a little general, but it might give you an overview of how it is to draw terrains.

Edit: Typos
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios
hi idloco! thanks for the quick reply! but, sorry that i forgot to mention that i already know how to render a terrain using a heightmap and then blend some nice textures on it :)

What i want is a LOD (tesselation) example, like the geomorph or just geomipmapping. Hope there is anyone out there with some nice info hehe

Regards
_____________________Lecturer at Blekinge Institute of Technology
You could check out Thatcher Ulrich's ChunkLOD.

IMO, it's probably the best method for terrain rendering for the forseeable future.
This site has some tutorials for terrain http://www.c-unit.com/tutorials/directx/

But I think why don't using a mesh to make terrain?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement