Sign in to follow this  
Funkymunky

[web] Flash: sprites with multiple animations

Alright progressing nicely with my flash learning. I learned how to take a sheet of sprites, put it on a movie clip and use Modify->Break Apart. Then I select the frames I want, and put each frame of the animation on a new keyframe (utilizing onion masking to get them lined up right). Then when I put this movie clip in my scene, it loops through an animation. That's all fine and dandy, but now I want a controllable animated sprite! I want it to have an idle animation, and when I hit a button I want it to change to a different animation. Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to do that?

I don't know all the technical details for the action script involved but this is what I do know.

Set up all the animations you need for the sprite on the same timeline. Then give each one a different name. In the scene, the action script will need to call the animations depending on what key is pressed, mouse button clicked etc.

I hope this leads you in the right direction and that others will be able to fill in the technical gaps.

I'm somewhat of a novice with Flash, but this is how I would do it. Label the first frame of each animation on the timeline, like "walkRight" "runningLeft" "jumping", etc. Then do something like this:

character.onKeyDown=characterKeyDown;

function characterKeyDown() {
k = Key.getCode();

if(k == RIGHT)
this.goToAndPlay("walkRight");
else if (k == LEFT)
this.goToAndPlay("walkLeft");
}

Make sense? That might not be actual code, but it's basically one way to accomplish it.

Quote:
Original post by Brash Benson
I'm somewhat of a novice with Flash, but this is how I would do it. Label the first frame of each animation on the timeline, like "walkRight" "runningLeft" "jumping", etc. Then do something like this:

character.onKeyDown=characterKeyDown;

function characterKeyDown() {
k = Key.getCode();

if(k == RIGHT)
this.goToAndPlay("walkRight");
else if (k == LEFT)
this.goToAndPlay("walkLeft");
}

Make sense? That might not be actual code, but it's basically one way to accomplish it.
Pretty-much. Although you'll need to put some gotoandplay's in the timeline itself to loop through the individual segments, lest your game just loop through all animations.