what guns to include in gangster-game?

Started by
12 comments, last by Sir Sapo 17 years, 6 months ago
A suggested in http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=416526&PageSize=25&WhichPage=1 my knowledge of guns might be as bad as my knowledge in drugs, hence this topic. In my near-future criminal gang/mafia/gangsta rts i need guns. This is my plan so far. Plz comment, suggest changes etc. What are cool/characteristic guns? HANDGUNS P18 9mm (browning) Glock 18 Revolver Desert_Eagle SMG Tec_9 Uzi Saf_Compact Mp5 SHOTGUNS Sawn-off Nova_Action Spaz_12 ASSAULT Ruger LAR (light assault rifle) AK47 kalashnikov M16 G3A3 (heckler&koch) SAR_21 (has replaced m16 in singapore) or some other hightech, "good" gun RIFLES "Street rifle" (composite, homemade, low quality) Remington M14_carbine Savage110 ST_poacher Dragunov Rocket_launc/RPG M240 (mounted in windows etc) Machine_gun (mounted, choppers etc) Gatling_gun (mounted, choppers mil.vehicles etc) Cannon (mounted, for example tanks) MISC Molotov_cock "Street-nades" (low quality) Handgrenades Flashbangs Mercenary_vest Kevlar Army_bodyArmy Clan_armour Painkillers stimpacks medkits (what is a stimpack really..?) This is certainly all thrown in there (game-engine just started) but i need some kind of overview. The rifles are unneccesarily many i know but im not decided yet on which ones... Is any "must-have" forgotten? Think mafia meets Syndicate (although only real-modern guns at this point) Thanks for your feedback Erik [Edited by - suliman on September 28, 2006 1:20:22 AM]
Advertisement
..............Blow darts................ I dunno but looks like a pretty good list of them to me =)
I think your missing one type of weapon that goes BANG - Grenade launchers (not RPGs as I feel RPGs are more like missiles). Nothing is more fun then launching grenades into a bunch of enemies :D

Can have a few varieties, shoulder-fired XM25, ones you attached to rifles like M203 for M-16s and big ones that you mount on vehicles like Mk 19. Can check out wiki for more info.

heres the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenade_launcher

Silenced guns for stealthed missions (if you have them).

Other then that the list is pretty good.
Something else to consider, using several of those names may be illegal. You can likely get away with using the M16 and such, as those are miliatry designations, which I don't think are actually subject to copyright laws.

Also, you don't need both the AK and kalashnikov in the name of the gun. :P that is what the K is for.

Don't forget, RPG means Rocket Propelled Grenade, but the russian made "RPG" series of weapons, while they are a type of Rocket Propelled Grenade, the RPG doesn't stand for that! My russian is very bad, but roughtly means "Handheld Antitank Grenade". Aren't laguages fun?

But tubed launched, non rocket grenades are likely always fun.

Don't forget hideable arms. Two shot non metal pistols, piano wire. Also, baseball bats, tireirons, 1/2inch rebar, golf clubs, 2x4s, plastic explosives in pill capsules with a mini timer and placed in someone's medicne cabinet,....
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Brand names are good, they add to immersion. If that's your goal, include as many as you can. Here are some notes that popped into my head as I read your post.

Handguns:

The Springfield XD is an exciting new handgun you might want to put in. A buddy of mine got one, and it's very nice. I shoot better with it than with my own Hk USP.

Why a Glock 18? If your game is set in the US, they're almost impossible to get, since they can't be imported, to my knowledge. The Glock 17 is more iconic and far easier to come by.

"Revolver"? Ouch. That hurts my feelings. The old wheelguns aren't so antiquated as to be generic. Not yet, anyway. The S&W J-Frame revolvers are still the #1 choice of law enforcement as "backup guns", and a Ruger GP100 with 6 rounds of .357 magnum is a powerful, reliable, easy-to-use piece that'll do a lot of damage at a lot of ranges. If you want to get crazy, the new S&W X-Frame with the .500 magnum cartridge is the world's most powerful handgun, so you might want to trade your Desert Eagle for a big revolver in the "Crazy Big Handgun" category. There's some new round they're chambering it for now, .463 or something, that has better terminal ballistics than the 500 mag, but I don't know the details.

SMGs:

Looks fine. Most SMG-using organizations use something from your list. You might want to throw in the Hk UMP45, a popular and powerful .45 ACP variant of the MP5.

Shotguns:

Not much you can do wrong with shotguns. A Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 (or 590) are the most popular and recognizable pump-action scatterguns in the world today. Fairly cheap, and highly modifiable, too. A lot of the shotgun's power, especially the clickety-clack pumpgun type, lies in the different cartridges it can fire. Buckshot, slugs, flares, less-lethal beanbags/rubber pellets/gas cannisters, the list goes on. It might be worthwhile to include some of the more interesting ammo types.

Assault:

Looks fine. There are endless variants. As long as you've got a Kalashnikov(AK47) and an Armalite(M16) in there, you'll be okay, but I'm a big fan of the Hk G36 and the FN F2000, if you've got room for them.

Rifles:

You can't make a game like this without including the Hk PSG-1 counter-sniper rifle. It's probably the best semi-automatic precision rifle in the world. I'm also a big fan of Ruger's Mini-14 and Mini-30 rifles.

Other:

I agree about some kind of 40mm grenade launcher. The M79 is the archetypal Vietnam-era "thump gun", but Hk has their HK69 (I think that's the designation) which is probably a better weapon, with newer materials and design and whatnot. And like the shotgun, a 40mm launcher can do more than just launch grenades. Gas cannisters, sting balls, nets, incendiary or smoke charges, the possibilities are endless.

thanks for your replies.

I though the AK was "automat Karbina" something but you are right i will not include bot ak47 and kalashnikov i think, more to make sure everybody understand which bun i talked about.

A gren launcher might be fun. I know about the rpg name thing, but rpg is like a concept so i might use it (but the right, russian translation of course)

Yeah a real revolver(or two) will problably be good. The rpoblem is that including more guns is pretty easy from my point of view, but having like 10 guns with about the same caracteristics might just confuse the players.

How about a "streetrifle"? I sort of junkrifle/redneck devise which might be composed of parts from several other rifles. This might be a bit to mad max but some of these things might work in my game. Same with street granades, what are cool names/models for those?

What about xm29 assualt rifle. Just silly? Looks powerful right?

I dont know if melee-weapons will have any use in my game, besides they introduce lots of new animations and code getting it to work proberly.

Erik
Quote:Is any "must-have" forgotten?

Mag-7. I've only seen a few images and read a little about it, but it seems like a good gun. Smaller than the regular punp-action shotgun and clip-based reloading. In my game demo/proof-of-consept/old code it basicly was like the regular pump-action gun, but with faster reloading, faster clickety-clack and wider spread. Worked pretty well to balance things out betweeen the two shotguns.

Quote:Original post by Talroth
Something else to consider, using several of those names may be illegal. You can likely get away with using the M16 and such, as those are miliatry designations, which I don't think are actually subject to copyright laws.

No way... Are you sure about this? If this is true then I actually can't use browning 9mm, desert eagle or the spas without breaking the law, and games such as counter-strike have the right to use such names, right?
In my game I plan to have normal weapons that exist in reality and "cutting-edge" weapons designed by a in-game scientist, but reading this I'm having second thoughts.
Quote:Original post by sirGustav
No way... Are you sure about this? If this is true then I actually can't use browning 9mm, desert eagle or the spas without breaking the law, and games such as counter-strike have the right to use such names, right?
In my game I plan to have normal weapons that exist in reality and "cutting-edge" weapons designed by a in-game scientist, but reading this I'm having second thoughts.

The majority of gun names are either copyrighted or trade marked (Desert Eagle is a trademark of Magnum Research for instance) - which is why when CS became retail, they changed all the names of the weapons as they didn't have the license for their use.

Keep the weapons in look and feel, but alter their names - easiest way of dealing with the issue.

Handguns: .358 and .44 magnums

Shotguns: Jackhammer

Rifles: R4 and R1 assault rifles perhaps. Some sniper rifles.

Misc: Teargas. Pipe bombs. Concussion bombs.
You forgot one of the most classic automatic gangster weapons of all time: the Tommy gun!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement