Sign in to follow this  
Geal

where do you get C++?

hello everyone! Although i'm still currently in high school, i plan on being a video game developer (currently working on making my own game for senior project). I've read C++ is the most common programming program (i know it's a contravercial topic, so i won't get into that), so i was wondering where i could buy/download a common version. thanks in advance for the help! ^^

First of all, you don't "get C++" you get an IDE ;)

To that end, here are some names you can google for:
1) code::blocks
2) DevC++
3) Microsoft Visual C++ Express

All of which are free, though I would recommend Visual C++ Express which can be gotten from msdn.microsoft.com.

Good luck with your project and happy coding!

oh, okay, thanks! in case you couldn't tell, i'm really new to this kind of stuff. sorry for my cluelesness, heh

Just to clear up the above little confusion for you, since you are new to this, they are differentiating between a C++ compiler, which is the program that reads in text files containing C++ code and spits out an executable, and an Integrated Development Environment which is generally a suite of programs that provide you with an editor for the text files, a compiler, a debugger and various other tools that assist the process of writing C++ programs.

Visual Studio provides a compiler and IDE and the Express edition is free from Microsoft. Another option is to just get one of the free compilers, such as the Gnu one quoted above, or the Digital Mars compiler and use an existing text editor to create the source files.

There are pros and cons to both approaches. IDEs provide a richer set of tools and group them together in a way that makes programming easier in some ways, but have a steeper learning curve in other respects.

If you are familiar with using a command prompt, and a text editor like EDIT, given that you will be writing console programs at first then I think there is an argument for starting with a command-line compiler, although I suspect that this is a contentious issue and that others will disagree. Generally a command line compiler will not provide the debugging tools that an IDE will, or at least not in as accesible a form.

Good luck.