Book Reccomendations for C++

Started by
7 comments, last by reana1 17 years, 6 months ago
I just got into programming a few weeks ago, and I already have a fairly large amount of C++ knowledge nailed into my head. However, I am still quite a 'newbie' to C++. I'd like some good C++ book reccomendations. I'm looking for something that isn't too complex, yet it doesn't treat me like an idiot. A large amount of sample code (I am very much hands on due to my ADD. I need to try things myself to learn it instead of just reading it.) in the print (on the CD is also fine, but I'd prefer the code to be right in the book) is also needed. I already have Beginning C++ Game Programming, Game Programming for Teens, and Beginning OpenGL Game Programming. The latter of the three proved to be too complex for me, however. As I said, I'm looking for a book to strengthen my skills. I already found two books of interest, though. 1) Game Coding Complete 2nd Edition 2) Game Programming All in One 2nd Edition However, I am afraid that my months of saved allowance may go to waste. I've already read quite a few reviews of these books, and there seems to be a lot of praise contained in the reviews. However, in the reviews, the subject of sample code was not discussed. So, I'm afraid I may spend $60 on these books only to discover there isn't any sample code, or they are too complex/easy. I'd really like some reccomendations for a recently starting programmer. Thanks. :D
Advertisement
If I could make a suggestion, I would stay away from Game related books right now, and get one that specializes in just C++.

Thinking in C++ is a great book, but I seem to recall it being orriented towards people switching to C++ from other languages.

C++ in a Nutshell and C++ in plain english are both great introductory texts.

As to directly gaming related books oriented towards the beginner, sorry I can't make a recommendation there. There was a book from ages back called Flights of Fantasy, I read when just starting out and it did an amazing job walking a newbie through creating a 3D flightsim, including a great job of explaining 3d transforms. Its brutally out of date, but was an easily understood read. If you find it really cheap, I would recommend it.
Quote:Original post by Serapth
If I could make a suggestion, I would stay away from Game related books right now, and get one that specializes in just C++.

Thinking in C++ is a great book, but I seem to recall it being orriented towards people switching to C++ from other languages.

As to directly gaming related books oriented towards the beginner, sorry I can't make a recommendation there. There was a book from ages back called Flights of Fantasy, I read when just starting out and it did an amazing job walking a newbie through creating a 3D flightsim, including a great job of explaining 3d transforms. Its brutally out of date, but was an easily understood read. If you find it really cheap, I would recommend it.

Eh, well I want to be a game programmer when I'm older, and I'm very interested in coding games. So, I'd really like a book for game development. I'll take a look at those books you mentioned, but I'm not totally sure yet. Thanks, though.

Quote:Original post by Mr Pastry

Eh, well I want to be a game programmer when I'm older, and I'm very interested in coding games. So, I'd really like a book for game development. I'll take a look at those books you mentioned, but I'm not totally sure yet. Thanks, though.

There are very few differences between "development" and "game development". You will never be able to write a good game, if you dont understand the underlying tools. You will find almost every game development book out there simply "assumes" you know C++ already. That, or they do a lousy job by trying to teach C++ in two chapters, which simply ends up wasting 2 chapters.

Here’s an analogy, because everyone loves analogies. I want to be a poet, so I buy books on poetry. The problem is, if I can barely read the language the poetry books are written in, I am not going to get much out of the book I bought.

It’s the same with game programming. Just instead of English, its C++ and instead of Poetry its Game Programming.

There are very few differences between "development" and "game development". You will never be able to write a good game, if you dont understand the underlying tools. You will find almost every game development book out there simply "assumes" you know C++ already. That, or they do a lousy job by trying to teach C++ in two chapters, which simply ends up wasting 2 chapters.

Here’s an analogy, because everyone loves analogies. I want to be a poet, so I buy books on poetry. The problem is, if I can barely read the language the poetry books are written in, I am not going to get much out of the book I bought.

It’s the same with game programming. Just instead of English, its C++ and instead of Poetry its Game Programming.

Well, I meant a book kinda like Beginning C++ Game Programming. The kind of book that teaches you C++ to make games. The book starts you off by simply displaying text, and then gradually moves you on to more complex programs and games. Something like that.

This is wise. Heed it.

I've never read TICPP from the beginning so I don't know how good it is for beginners or whether it's oriented towards people switching. But, it is available online and I find it to be very handy reference (primarily for STL). The examples tend to try to cover a ton of stuff at once, which can be confusing, but it's still very good I think. Here are two links, although there are probably newer versions by now that you can find through the MindView links.
Vol 1
Vol 2
For beginners, I currently recommend this book:
Object-Oriented Programming in C++, 4th ed.
I think it explains things very clearly and thoroughly and gives great examples as it goes.

As far as finding a game/programming book, I'd agree that it'd be better to approach each area separately. I'd think most books that have C++ game programming in the title would mainly just be using C++ as the tool and not really concentrating on teaching the language. Check out the books area here at GameDev for people's reviews too.
Tadd- WarbleWare
Quote:Original post by reana1
bookdetails.asp?productid=123&CategoryID=19">Object-Oriented Programming in C++, 4th ed.

I think it explains things very clearly and thoroughly and gives great examples as it goes.

Ha, that book was the suplemental text in my first year of comp sci. Granted it was on the 1st edition then... wow, first time a computer book has made me feel old. [smile]

Ha, that book was the suplemental text in my first year of comp sci. Granted it was on the 1st edition then... wow, first time a computer book has made me feel old. [smile]

Well, it's been made up-to-date I think. The 4th edition at least taught me some new C++ things I was still doing the old way (before changes/additions to the standard). Of course, I still stubbornly do it the wrong way alot, but now I just feel a little guilty. :)
Tadd- WarbleWare

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement