Sign in to follow this  
thetit4n

New at Game Developing, Not programming

Iv'e been programming PHP for years and I just got interested in game programming because of a friend of mine. I dont really know where to start or anything specific to even ask. If anyone has been in my position or feels like they can help me please post. Give me some ideas to start learning what i need to know. I plan on going to school eventually but until then please just help me out. Im kindof fimiliar with C++ and good at web programming so if that can relate to that please give me a hand.

My suggestion is start with a simple 2D C++ framework ( if you are comfortable with C++, otherwise something like Dark Basic or Python + PyGame ). SDL and Allegro seem to be the two most popular and there are tons of samples. Plus, both simplify a bunch of the annoying choirs ( like screen setup, creating your window, DX or OpenGL init, etc... ) which makes the code easier to understand.

Then pump out a simple game. Whatever you want.. a card game, pong, a mario clone, whatever.

Learn gaming basics, things like a game loop, dealing with I/O, level loading, sound playing, animation, etc...

This will lead in a natural progression of "wouldnt it be neat if", at which point the next questions you need to ask will become obvious to you. Gee, how do I do this in 3D? I'd like to animate this, etc...

Biggest piece of advice is pick a small project *and finish it*. So many people like to start something, get bored, start something else, get bored, etc. You learn alot more by finishing one project then starting and aborting two. Also, you feel more accomplished in the end.

Your great. I appriciate it man, i really diddent know where to start but, ya a little game will work great to start, and eventully mabey make somthing cool. haha, peace