• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thetit4n

New at Game Developing, Not programming

This topic is 4340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Iv'e been programming PHP for years and I just got interested in game programming because of a friend of mine. I dont really know where to start or anything specific to even ask. If anyone has been in my position or feels like they can help me please post. Give me some ideas to start learning what i need to know. I plan on going to school eventually but until then please just help me out. Im kindof fimiliar with C++ and good at web programming so if that can relate to that please give me a hand.

Advertisement
My suggestion is start with a simple 2D C++ framework ( if you are comfortable with C++, otherwise something like Dark Basic or Python + PyGame ). SDL and Allegro seem to be the two most popular and there are tons of samples. Plus, both simplify a bunch of the annoying choirs ( like screen setup, creating your window, DX or OpenGL init, etc... ) which makes the code easier to understand.

Then pump out a simple game. Whatever you want.. a card game, pong, a mario clone, whatever.

Learn gaming basics, things like a game loop, dealing with I/O, level loading, sound playing, animation, etc...

This will lead in a natural progression of "wouldnt it be neat if", at which point the next questions you need to ask will become obvious to you. Gee, how do I do this in 3D? I'd like to animate this, etc...

Biggest piece of advice is pick a small project *and finish it*. So many people like to start something, get bored, start something else, get bored, etc. You learn alot more by finishing one project then starting and aborting two. Also, you feel more accomplished in the end.

Your great. I appriciate it man, i really diddent know where to start but, ya a little game will work great to start, and eventully mabey make somthing cool. haha, peace

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!