How to make 3D Games?

Started by
8 comments, last by Prince102 17 years, 6 months ago
Ok, I am a complete n00b. Kindly tell me what do I need to make 3D Games. From what I know, I've to write real time Shaders using GLSL/CG/Sh for OpenGL and HLSL for Direct 3D. And then test/debug them in FX Composer/Render Monkey, and then apply them using any 3D Authoring software like 3D Game Studio, Maya or 3D Studio Max? Please, bear with me, I know these kind of stupid threads can make people angry, but I REALLY need help on it. If I am wrong above, then kindly tell me what tools do I need to make 3D games. I am willing to learn, I've great interest in 3D, Graphics etc., Please bear.
Advertisement
You need to post in For Beginners

And be prepared, this thread will fill with harassment from alot of posters. Writing shaders is barely scratching the surface of what it takes to make a 3D game. You won't be touching shaders for a long, long time. You might want to check out Torque (www.garagegames.com), which can help you start making 3D games.

Once again, check out the For Beginners forum for alot more useful info.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Making a 3D game requires alot more than shaders. I'd suggest starting with a graphics engine like OGRE which makes 3D a little easier unless you want to learn a specific API, in both cases you're gonna need some pretty good math skills and an understanding of what 3D games are comprised of. If you don't know, you can search around on the web and probably find some good info or buy some books. Those programs you mentioned will let you make the actual 3D graphics but writing a program to use them is another story.
Artist 1st - Programmer 2nd(I'll get some material linked here sometime to support these claims, haha)
Start by reading the FAQ in the For Beginners forum.

-me
Thank you all for the replies so far.

But what I wanted to know in the begining is what tools would I need to make 3D Game? Kindly consider my first post again.

For example: to make a Tea, I would need a kettle, sugar, tea, water etc.

Quote:Original post by Prince102
But what I wanted to know in the begining is what tools would I need to make 3D Game? Kindly consider my first post again.

Again, this is answered in the FAQ in the For Beginners forum.

The short answer is: it depends. but read the FAQ then post with more questions if you have them.

-me
Complete n00B you say? I hope I don't come across as a jerk for saying this, but have you tried making any 2D games yet? Making a simple 2D game will allow you to - at the very least - figure out how to construct a game in the first place (and you'll learn some cool skills while doing it). Then, when you've done 2D to death, then try delving into 3D.

When I first started out (ie. a CS class in high school), I too wanted to make a 3D game, only it was for a final project, all within a 3-week timeframe. Needless to say, after about a week of "wasting" time trying to create a 3D game (which I was highly unqualified to do), I opted for a simple 2D game instead. That simple game took nearly all of the 3 weeks to complete, and it was only 2D!

Not to discourage you entirely, but you'd be surprised how adding just one extra dimension into the mix will really complicate things, especially if you're just starting out. A 2D game will allow you to get stuff on the screen fast (as there isn't as much theory and math involved as 3D - thus, less complication), as opposed to a 3D game that will continually frustrate you because of its complexity. As I've heard other people on the forums say, you need to learn to walk before you can run.

However, if you've already done 2D games, then please disregard my entire post. [grin]
Even before you need to know how to make a 3D game you need to know if you are able to use a programming language proefficiently such as C++/C#/Java/VB or anything of the like.
Then you need to know if you can make a basic 2D game such as pacman or tetris or anything that could ressemble old basic games of the good old times.
Then you need to know if you are know you way around very well with the chosen API such as OPENGL or Direct3D.
Then you need at least a good grasp of some computer oriented mathematics.
Then you need to continue making small games each time making them a little bit more complex incorporating new elements you've learned and mastering the old ones.
Then if you can get your way around using a compiler, playing around making your own art or making someone do them for you and having a 2D or semi 3D playable game, you might want to look at how to work with shaders which are fairly complex.

These are mostly what I could of that you need to know and they are not in this specific order and they are not a complete list either. there are a WHOLE lot of details missing there but it's just some big lines that you may want to look into

If you know none of these or you think you know them because you read about them I suggest you do like a couple persons higher up who suggested you to read the Beginner FAQ as I did myself when I came here years ago :)

If you're truly good and experienced you will also ask more precise questions about what is it that you are willing to do. shaders do not make a game, they make it look good if you can use it properly. I don't want to be rude but from your first post I have detected that most probably you have never really had much experience with make games before and have read a bit about the kind of information that was appealing to you thinking it was probably all that was needed.

Have patience and perseverance and ask leading questions to the forums member and you shall become good !

Enjoy !
Quote:For example: to make a Tea, I would need a kettle, sugar, tea, water etc.

So to make a casserole, what do you need?

It depends on what kind of casserole you are making. The only known tool is the dish that you make it in.

For games, that dish is a computer. Everything else is dependent on the project you are making. Here is a list (not everything, but some) for 3D games

- Knowledge of a programming language
- A development environment for that language (Like Visual Studio for C++)
- Knowledge of linear algebra, including matrix transforms and projections
- A tool for creating 3D models (such as 3D Studio or Blender)
- A whole hell of alot of time

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Thank you guys so much.

Yes you guys are right, and I did mentioned that I don't know anything about it, but it's just I've too much of Interest in making 3D Games.

While I was 19 years old I completed C++, Java JDK 1.2.1, HTML coding, Adobe Photoshop, FLASH, MS-Office etc. But I am 28 years old now, I don't remember anyting, all I know that I used to start coding with #iostream.h in C++.

But anyway, I'll be spending time on Beginners forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement