Help With A Huge RPG!!! 70 Errors of the same kind!!!

Started by
7 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 17 years, 6 months ago
I'm having some problems making some changes to an RPG. I am using Microsoft VC++ 6.0, and the source code is in the link below. http://one.fsphost.com/Ryan4816/HelpFiles/Help%20Files.zip Can anyone find a solution to my problems??? If you use MS VC++ 6.0 for the files, you should get 70 errors. Anyone help please? -Ryan
-Ryan
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by RSL
I'm having some problems making some changes to an RPG. I am using Microsoft VC++ 6.0, and the source code is in the link below.

http://one.fsphost.com/Ryan4816/HelpFiles/Help%20Files.zip

Can anyone find a solution to my problems??? If you use MS VC++ 6.0 for the files, you should get 70 errors.

Anyone help please?

-Ryan

Err. These are compilation errors, and compilation errors used to be quite simple to spot and correct (can't test: I don't have VC6 here). If you have errors that you can't understand, feel free to post the error message and we'll give you a short explaination (but VC6 can already give such explaination to you: click on the message and press F1 and voilà: instant help from the editor itself).

Regards,
I originally though to give you an advice in binary, as bwhahahahahahhhhaaaahahah and so on. However it would damage the forum because it would be too long.

Why are you not posting in the beginner forum? Compiler behavior and beginner problems are best served in its forum.
If you double-click in VC++6.0 it will take you to the line of the error.

However, my guess is that you are using someone else's code. Your problem is that VC++6.0 is the worst compiler of all time. the following will not compile in 6.0:

for ( int i = 0; i < 2; ++i ){}for ( int i = 0; i < 2; ++i ){}

VC 6.0 treats both declarations of i as being in the same scope even though according to the standard they are not.

My reccomendation is to stop using VC 6.0, especially if you are working with someone else's code. You should download the _free_ Visual Studio Express 2005 edition from msoft; it's much more standards compliant than 6.0 (which i repeat is a horror of an IDE).

-me
Quote:Original post by RSL
Can anyone find a solution to my problems??? If you use MS VC++ 6.0 for the files, you should get 70 errors.

Upgrade to a more modern compiler, Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is one option (it's free). 6.0 is old and doesn't always handle modern C++ correctly.

This is a few years old, but in the words of Nick Hodapp, Visual C++ product manager

Quote:"Visual C++ is 10 years old in February. The language has been around for about 15 years, and the first standard was ratified in 1997," he explained. "What's significant is that this is the first release of Visual C++ that's largely conforming to that standard. Version 6, which was released when the standard was first ratified, was 85 percent conformant.

"We've got a big steppingstone with Everett: We're now 98 percent conforming," Hodapp continued. "That places us in the top compilers across any platform for C++. No compiler is 100 percent conforming," he added, when measured against the major conformance suites from Dinkumware Ltd., Perennial Inc. and Plum Hall Inc. Among Microsoft's improvements to the compiler are partial specialization of class templates and partial ordering of function templates.

"We're not lacking in any area of the standard that's considered important by the community," he said, claiming that for the first time, the Visual C++ compiler can compile the popular Blitz, Boost and Loki libraries. "Visual C++ 6 and Visual Studio .NET had difficulty building these; you can build part of these, but you can't get all the functions," he admitted. "But Everett can build them with ease."
I'll try and give some general advice.
If you are modifying code that you didn't write, the key things to do are:

1) Change things a little at a time and compile regularly so you know what it is you changed that made it break (it did compile in the first place right... if the answer is no then you probably need to ditch VC6 for a saner compiler... and check what you are compiling is meant for your platform obviously)

2) Make regular backups and use file comparison tools so you can remember what you have changed. Source control software (e.g. CVS or Source Safe) is even better - even if you are working on your own projects.

And learn to walk before you learn to run... cliched I know but so is most good advice.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
I have had a psychic premonition just now and I reckon you may be missing a semicolon off the end of a class or a struct definition in a header file.

That's what seems to generate 70 errors all of the same type for most people.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
In the project settings, you can set a flag called "force conformance in for loops". enable it and the code will work.
You should post the errors and relevant areas of source in the forum post, rather than an attachment. Why?

1) You won't alienate people who don't have VS6. Given how much VS6 sucks, frankly, to the point where Microsoft's very own (free, legally!) Visual Studio 2005 Express overshadows it in just about every regard, well, let's just say I no longer use my VS6 CDs.

2) You won't alienate people who are too lazy to download, unzip, and attempt to build your project for what might be a 5 second to fix error given the source and error messages. I fall into this category too.

3) You'll be much closer to conforming with the guidelines outlined in How To Ask Questions The Smart Way, which I recommend reading. I'm not saying this to be mean (even if I am sometimes) - I've read it myself.

4) If your webhost goes down, future lurkers googling for information about the same type of problem are more likely to be able to find and take their answer away from this topic.

Hope this helps!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement