Oblivion and its problems

Started by
55 comments, last by Kylotan 17 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Gixugif, I'm not sure what your point is, because that's exactly what happens already, and it pretty much wrecks the game in some respects.

Yet fighting lots of a weak monster would actually make a significant difference, as you have to change the way you defend and so on.

I would much prefer the traditional method of having some geographical parts of the game contain stronger foes than others. Let exploration be about finding these areas and let levelling be about readying myself to enter them.

Ah sorry. I though they leveld up with you in the sense that when you were at level one they were, when you're at level 20, they are. In that though, using traditional RPGs as an example such as a recent poster suggested and have weaker monsters in some areas, but have more areas with stronger monsters (since theoretically you'll spend more time at higher levels). I still don't see adding amounts of monsters working. Maybe with more powerful ones such as liches, but not with rats or wolfs. You can't have such an extreme amount that they'd pose a problem.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Sandman
A key problem is that character level is used as measure of a character's combat ability (e.g for monster leveling) but in practice, due to the way in which the levelling system works, it is far from being a remotely accurate estimate. It is very easy to create characters that are way above or below the monster levelling curve at any given level.

Sure, and the designers could have done something sensible such as scaled monster levels according to how well you fared against previous monsters. eg. They could keep a windowed average of how much health you lose during a fight, or how many hits you needed to land, compare that to a desired baseline chosen by the design team, and use that to adjust the next fight, scaled up and down according to the required encounter difficulty level.

Quote:In my own experience, I've not found the monster levelling to be a problem. The vast majority of monsters, in and outside of oblivion gates, are individually little or no threat, even when using skills that I've barely touched.

I don't know if this is just because I have The Four As in my primary skills (armorer, alchemy, acrobatics, athletics) which are largely useless in combat, but I really do get hammered most of the time. I'm level 20 or 21 or so, and things like Storm Atronachs or those hulking beige golem-ogrey things outside the gates are virtually unkillable for me. Ho hum.

I find it hard to believe that they didn't manage to play test all the prefabricated classes at 5-level intervals, arm them with the sort of stuff that they can find in the world at that level, and see how they fare. Yet that's how it feels - I'm playing a standard class, have done no power-levelling whatsoever, and am finding it very unplayable. I know I'm not great at computer games, but I'm not that bad.

Quote:Every so often though, I'll stumble into a really 'tough' fight - just often enough to keep things fun.

The point of this is that the monster scaling does kind of work, but Oblivion's character levelling system is not terribly compatible with it.

Seriously though, in what way does it 'work'? What do you think it's trying to achieve? By matching monster levels to your levels, it is essentially removing levels in the sense that they are typically known. Numerically you may as well have a system without levels at all, and just have the usefulness of different skills rebalance with time. If going up a level doesn't open any new doors, why even have them in the game? In abstract terms, what gameplay device does this combination of systems provide? All I can see are the things it's explicitly taken away.
Quote:Original post by Shiny
I guess in the end you have to decide if you're making a 'game', or a 'sim' -- anyone who ever played the recent iterations of Wright's 'Sims' games (notably 2 + expansions) would recollect the performance hit even decent CPUs take when more than 4 sims appear in a scene at any one time -- calculating individual desires/dislikes/etc is hard work. Maybe something to put in the too-hard basket until something like the multiple-core paradigm really takes off? (That is to say, complex 'radiant AI' style systems incorporated into non-simulation branded games.)

I seriously doubt that such AI is at all CPU-intensive. You don't need to run it every frame like you do with graphics. And the Sims had quite a densely-packed environment compared to an RPG. There's a large middle ground which they could easily have exploited efficiently, yet didn't.

Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Sure, and the designers could have done something sensible such as scaled monster levels according to how well you fared against previous monsters. eg. They could keep a windowed average of how much health you lose during a fight, or how many hits you needed to land, compare that to a desired baseline chosen by the design team, and use that to adjust the next fight, scaled up and down according to the required encounter difficulty level.

This would have definitely been a better way to do it. There may also be simpler solutions that would still yield better results than they did, e.g taking into account the player's skills (regardless of whether they're majors or not) and weighting them according to their combat relevance. Even this would be better than just basing it on level, which is so far removed from 'combat ability' due to the levelling system that it's no indicator whatsoever.

Quote:
I don't know if this is just because I have The Four As in my primary skills (armorer, alchemy, acrobatics, athletics) which are largely useless in combat, but I really do get hammered most of the time. I'm level 20 or 21 or so, and things like Storm Atronachs or those hulking beige golem-ogrey things outside the gates are virtually unkillable for me. Ho hum.

Yep, that'd do it. Alchemy is controllable but levels very fast, acrobatics and athletics are slower levellers but you'll be using them constantly. Note that acrobatics increases not just when you jump, but whenever you take falling damage. Armorer you can probably get away with but I prefer to keep it as a minor for other reasons.

Another two to watch out for are light armour and sneak, and the obvious non-combat ones like speechcraft and mercantile.

Quote:I find it hard to believe that they didn't manage to play test all the prefabricated classes at 5-level intervals, arm them with the sort of stuff that they can find in the world at that level, and see how they fare. Yet that's how it feels - I'm playing a standard class, have done no power-levelling whatsoever, and am finding it very unplayable. I know I'm not great at computer games, but I'm not that bad.

My guess is that they probably did test it, but with the mindset that "if it's too hard I'll just tweak the difficulty slider". In other words, as long as you could play through on minimum difficulty, they felt they'd done a good enough job, rather than fixing the fundamental flaws in the character creation rules.

For the sake of enjoying the game though, I'd recommend either giving in and moving that slider, or else starting over with a different build. And adding some mods while you're at it.

Quote:
Seriously though, in what way does it 'work'? What do you think it's trying to achieve? By matching monster levels to your levels, it is essentially removing levels in the sense that they are typically known. Numerically you may as well have a system without levels at all, and just have the usefulness of different skills rebalance with time. If going up a level doesn't open any new doors, why even have them in the game? In abstract terms, what gameplay device does this combination of systems provide? All I can see are the things it's explicitly taken away.

When I first encountered a troll, it scared the shit out of me. It came charging at me out of nowhere at high speed, started walloping me before I could respond and it would knock about a third of my health off per hit. Now at 27th level I use them as punching bags, in much the same way I used mudcrabs at level 2.

In that way, the sense of progression is maintained. However, the challenge is also maintained, in that I now encounter a few things that are much harder than trolls, some of which I have to take at least *slightly* seriously.

Furthermore, I have free reign to explore, with no restrictions on how far I can wander before I accidentally stumble into an area that some designer arbitrarily decided was only for characters twenty levels higher than me and consequently getting killed. I have free reign to take on any quest and not have to worry if I'm 'high enough level' to complete it yet.
Quote:Original post by Sandman
Quote:

Yep, that'd do it. Alchemy is controllable but levels very fast, acrobatics and athletics are slower levellers but you'll be using them constantly. Note that acrobatics increases not just when you jump, but whenever you take falling damage. Armorer you can probably get away with but I prefer to keep it as a minor for other reasons.

Another two to watch out for are light armour and sneak, and the obvious non-combat ones like speechcraft and mercantile.

I have light armour, which creeps up when I'm doing badly, thus penalising me in a feedback loop.

Quote:My guess is that they probably did test it, but with the mindset that "if it's too hard I'll just tweak the difficulty slider". In other words, as long as you could play through on minimum difficulty, they felt they'd done a good enough job, rather than fixing the fundamental flaws in the character creation rules.

An unwary RPGer might legitimately think that somehow they are poorly equipped or perhaps just not high enough level for the area. I wonder if there are any reports of people not deducing the way the system works, power-levelling to try and help themselves, and making matters worse?

Quote:And adding some mods while you're at it.

I'd rather not add any gameplay mods, for the sake of purity! I added a 'make the text size reasonable rather than 72pt' mod though. Interestingly, most of the other 'prettification' mods seemed to be 'make everything garishly oversaturated like American television' so I gave those a miss. ;) I wonder if Americans think Oblivion looks like British television...

Quote:When I first encountered a troll, it scared the shit out of me. It came charging at me out of nowhere at high speed, started walloping me before I could respond and it would knock about a third of my health off per hit. Now at 27th level I use them as punching bags, in much the same way I used mudcrabs at level 2.

In that way, the sense of progression is maintained. However, the challenge is also maintained, in that I now encounter a few things that are much harder than trolls, some of which I have to take at least *slightly* seriously.

I remember my first troll encounter, which was when I decided to go south across the lake from the City for the first time. I was near the ruins by the Old Bridge when I heard the thundering footsteps... great times. And yes, as you said, trolls seem to be high-level mudcrabs. But for every troll, there are the Amazing Power-up Timber Wolves with their friends The Levelling Bears who just keep getting tougher - and to add insult to injury, they're not as exciting as the trolls.

Quote:Furthermore, I have free reign to explore, with no restrictions on how far I can wander before I accidentally stumble into an area that some designer arbitrarily decided was only for characters twenty levels higher than me and consequently getting killed. I have free reign to take on any quest and not have to worry if I'm 'high enough level' to complete it yet.

I don't agree with your opinion on this, though I appreciate it's subjective. I think that games like this should essentially be about unlocking content through actions, and that locking away part of the geography and some of the quests is an important part of the game. The act of improving your character is like acquiring new keys to old locks, progressively rewarding your efforts by yielding up new content.

I also enjoy exploring much less if all I'm doing is admiring the high definition range rendering on the sun coming up over a mountainside. I want to be surprised by the denizens I find - not greeted with the same old stuff pitched at my level. I want to have to watch my back for something new when I enter a new area, not roam with no restrictions with no excitement. I want more experiences like that first time I met a troll.
Oh my god, I'm doing main quest stuff, spacifically "allies for bruma"

i can't do it,

the oblivion gates are ungodly tough

more or less the deadroth and storm atronarchs just take it out of me

i cant tone down the difficulty because then my brother will go on a rant for cheating and what not.

not only that my major skills are pretty combant orientated
like blade
both armors
and marksman

any suggestions?
As noted above, enemy level is based on your level, so improve yourself without levelling up. Armour and weapons from bandits is usually a decent source of equipment and money, and potions and spells are other ways of making you stronger. This is a game design forum though, so if you want further hints, try asking in the lounge, or better yet, on a forum dedicated to such things.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement