Learning angelscript

Started by
4 comments, last by Deyja 17 years, 6 months ago
Ok so I'm a newbie and could not find a previous post on this question. How do you simple read a "property" or variable from a script file? Also, is there any other additional documentation or articles for AngelScript? I don't mean to be critical but I've found the documentation sort of lacking. Regards, Steve
Advertisement
This is a known problem. ;) I'm trying to find the time to write some tutorials for the newcomers, but the problem is that it is just so much more interesting to implement new features than writing documentation.

If you want to access a property in the application from a script, then you must first register the property with the engine (see RegisterGlobalProperty).

On the other hand, if you want to access a global variable declared in a script from the application you can do so with the GetGlobalVarPointer method on the engine.

Feel free to ask anything.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

LOL! I completely know you're position on the documentation! I write manufacturing tooling control software for a living and documentation is always lowest on my list.

Thanks for the very fast reply!

"more interesting to implement new features than writing documentation" !! you got that right! LOL

Oh, and i'll try the GetGlobalVarPointer and/or RegisterGlobalProperty.

Regards,
Steve
I tried editing my last post but I forgot to log in so I am that "Anonymous Poster". :) Anyway what I was going to say was
that I forgot to mention that I am working on a set of "really simple", single file types of tutorials for the Game Institute. I'm going to show them to Adam Hoult for his blessing first before release but I can fire them off to you if you want them also. I know Lua but chose AngelScript for the tuts instead. So I'm having to learn a bit first. :)

Regards,
Steve
It would be absolutely great to have a set of tutorials written by the community for the community.

Will the tutorials from Game Institute be free for everyone to access?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I would suggest you post the tutorials up here too. Let the whole AS community proof-read them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement