Sign in to follow this  
Serapth

ASE Scene Importer

Hello all, Im trying to find any reference information on dealing with autodesks ASE text format. I downloaded old versions of the Max SDK help and they say the format is undocumented except in an SDK sample I dont have access to :( I have googled around and sofar only found information on static scenes, nothing on animation :( I already have a working importer that handles verts, UVS, textures, etc... Im just lacking information on how to deal with the animation data. Frankly I can find NOTHING on that topic, and havent made sense enough of the file format to do it on my own. There are just too many helper objects that I dont know how relevant they are. By the way, for project reasons, it *has* to be ASE file formats, otherwise I would have switched to more logical formats ( like OBJ, X, or FBX ) but I have to use ASE. Also, I already figured out the static mesh and texture encoding, its really just animation and helper objects im interested in now! So if anyone has any reference information on the ASE file format, especially the animation parts, please point me in that direction. Or, if you have any advice, again I would love to hear it! Thanks, Mike

Quote:
Original post by griffin2000
Try this... http://interreality.org/projects/libase

Thanks for the link, unfortunatly, it doesnt support animation either ;(

Just make a file that has animation in it, and then open up that file with a text editor. You'll find the keywords CONTROL_POS_TRACK and CONTROL_ROT_TRACK in the GEOMOBJECT blocks that have object specific animation. Both are blocks. The pos track is a series of an integer and 3 floats (the integer being the number of ticks for that keyframe from the start of animation), which is the new position, not accounting for the original offset specified in TM_POS (under the node info block). The rot track is basically the same except with 4 floats, and doesn't account for the original offset specified in TM_ROTAXIS or TM_ROTANGLE (yet again in the node info block). The rotation is in axis-angle with the format of axis first and then angle in radians.

Also, vertex morph information is specified in multiple seperate meshes with integers in them specifying the ticks since the start of animation. The rest of the information can be read out as a regular old MESH.

That's really about all I know. My loader can't handle vertex morph animation yet...

I hope I've been of some help to you.

Quote:
Original post by Atash
Just make a file that has animation in it, and then open up that file with a text editor. You'll find the keywords CONTROL_POS_TRACK and CONTROL_ROT_TRACK in the GEOMOBJECT blocks that have object specific animation. Both are blocks. The pos track is a series of an integer and 3 floats (the integer being the number of ticks for that keyframe from the start of animation), which is the new position, not accounting for the original offset specified in TM_POS (under the node info block). The rot track is basically the same except with 4 floats, and doesn't account for the original offset specified in TM_ROTAXIS or TM_ROTANGLE (yet again in the node info block). The rotation is in axis-angle with the format of axis first and then angle in radians.

Also, vertex morph information is specified in multiple seperate meshes with integers in them specifying the ticks since the start of animation. The rest of the information can be read out as a regular old MESH.

That's really about all I know. My loader can't handle vertex morph animation yet...

I hope I've been of some help to you.

Thanks for the response, ill give it a shot. Does this mean I can ignore the BONEs and various other helper objects?