number of diggits in a integer

Started by
30 comments, last by Conner McCloud 17 years, 6 months ago
How do I find the number of digits in a integer?? like: 1 = 1 10 = 2 100 = 3 I tried with i.size() but that didnt work.. :/
Advertisement
What language are you using?
c++
for(int i = 0; x > 9; x /= 10, i++);

Would that work?
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
for(int i = 0; x > 9; x /= 10, i++);

Would that work?

i will be off by one and not accesible outside the scope of the for loop.

but either way the important thing, Nanook, is that you be able to explain to your teacher why it works...

If it's a homework assignment then try thinking about it for a while. It wouldn't have been assigned if you didn't have the tools to solve it.

-me
Depends on how the number is represented. Decimal,hex,bin,octal or others system could produce different numbers of digits.

Lets take the number 123d in decimal:

-123d in decimal(123) and has 3 digits,
-123d in hex(7Bh) has 2 digits,
-123d in binary(1111011b) has 7 digits
-123d in octal(173o) has 3 digits.
0xa0000000
Quote:Original post by Palidine
i will be off by one and not accesible outside the scope of the for loop.

Not to mention that it's horribly inefficient to use a loop to do something for which a simple formula exists.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
The best way to do this is to convert the number to a string and find the length of the string.

(just kidding)
deathkrushPS3/Xbox360 Graphics Programmer, Mass Media.Completed Projects: Stuntman Ignition (PS3), Saints Row 2 (PS3), Darksiders(PS3, 360)
Quote:Original post by deathkrush
The best way to do this is to convert the number to a string and find the length of the string.

(just kidding)

hum.. why not?
Quote:Original post by deathkrush

(just kidding)

:)
Ever read The Daily WTF? It's amazing how often the "convert to string" approach is taken in real-world applications by programmers who should know better.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement