Joining a team

Started by
1 comment, last by shadowisadog 17 years, 6 months ago
I am not sure how to word this, but here goes: I am very new to programming with C++. I want to learn and get involved with teams. The best way for me to learn is to jump in on a project and learn along the way. Problem is, is that I am not so sure if it is fair for me to offer my help in the Help Wanted forum. What do you all think? Go for it, or keep learning on my own?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Sshado
I am very new to programming with C++. I want to learn and get involved with teams.

No. Joining a team now will do nothing for you, and nothing for the team. A team is not equipped to teach you the language, and devoting time/energy/other resources to teaching you takes them away from working on the project.

Quote:What do you all think? Go for it, or keep learning on my own?

Keep learning on your own, for now. If you need group participation, join the C++ Workshop!
Exactly. Trying to learn the language while working on a team project will hold the group back and probally cause the project to fail. Keep working on your own until you build up some experience.

I would say probally around eight months to two years and you should have enough experience to join a small team.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement