Sign in to follow this  

web services

This topic is 4096 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am a undergraduate and have a prototype project to develop using web services i was wondering what would be the best tool/s to use to build web services in terms of being user friendly and quick to learn. i know java, xml, sql, and C++ but not c#. if .NET is the best option im assuming c# is quick to learn considering i know C++ i will be happy for any suggestions about web services as it is completely new to me. e.g. where to start, tutorials, tools, books, anything...

I'd definitely suggest going the C# route (C# webservices being one of my primary jobs at work ;)

If you've got experience with C++ and java, C# should be easy to pick up and you'll be glad you did :)

On top of being easier to use for webservices, C# is the industry standard choice to use for them. That probably makes it the best choice regardless of personal preference.

Here is a bit of info to help you get started:

Making a method available through a webservice is quite trivial

example of normal method

public int DoSomething(int a)
{
return a + 2;
}

example of web method

[WebMethod]
public int DoSomething(int a)
{
return a + 2;
}

Another tip is that there is a tool called wsdl.exe to help you get an interface interact with a webservice. (Look in the .Net framework directory on your machine for it)

You can get the wsdl page as input to that tool by using an url that points to your webservice and has ?wsdl appended onto it.

http://your_web_service.asmx?wsdl

Quote:
C# is the industry standard choice to use for them

I would say that there's a number of frameworks that have been around for longer, and may very well claim they are more standard. Java solutions, such as J2EE and EJB, for example, come to mind. The LAMP suite is another.

That being said, C# using ASP.NET is a fine solution, too, so if you want to choose that, I'd say go for it.

This topic is 4096 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.