Sign in to follow this  

64x FSAA! Only $20,000!

This topic is 4093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ever wanted to play Quake with 64x FSAA, on a wall-projected HD cinema screen? Just buy a $20,000 graphics card from nVIDIA, and you can realize this dream! /me shakes head and imagines five years from now when that performance will come in a PC for $300. And, yes, it's a "graphics card" that comes in a totally separate enclosure, hooking up to your computer using a "plex link" cable and a PCI 16x slot. (These kinds of things were of course done by SGI for a long time -- I just find this nVIDIA release to be a defining moment of the "new world" of graphics)

Damn there's a maximum of 2 per host? I was going to buy a dozen and build a $1500 system to plug them into, but I guess that's out of the question...

I can only imagine what the shipping insurance would be as well!

And just how fast is a 2M "plex link" cable? Wouldn't it be ironic to have such a powerful piece of hardware be limited by some dinky cable?

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Aww man, they require 2 gb of RAM! How am I supposed to be able to afford that?!?

No, they HAVE 2G of VRAM.
That's just sick.
And since there's a DVI output for each card, you'll need an $8000 monitor to use it, too.
And, of course, you might as well get a PCE to complete the package.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Well, that is true, but they *also* require the PC runing them to have 2 gb (prefferably 4 gb). Just click on System Requirements.

Doh, sorry!

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Aww man, they require 2 gb of RAM! How am I supposed to be able to afford that?!?

if you can afford 200.000$+ for the linux version of discreet flame those 20k for a graphics card
actually sound pretty cheap :)

/edit
your average flame workstation actually ships on a dual dual-core with 16gb of ram

Guest Anonymous Poster
(kidding)
If it's just for anti-aliasing, why not just plug the computer to a good old videoprojector ? The image will be naturally blurred... herrm antialiased I mean :)
(/kidding)

As it turns out, you can actually stick a bunch of them in a rack and make a cluster out of them somehow. Whoa.
Gizmondo article, probably a press release.

"Seeing the new NVIDIA Quadro Plex VCS running Google Earth is an astounding visual experience," said Michael Jones, chief technologist, Google Earth, Maps and Local. "This extreme level of performance and resolution takes the viewer from visual simulation to emotional reality, showing the Earth in its full detail and glory. Google Earth and the NVIDIA Quadro Plex VCS are a perfect pair--powering a new world of imagination."

drool

"The new NVIDIA Quadro Plex VCS is the ideal graphics enabling technology for Aechelon's flight simulator solutions," said John Quinn, CEO of Aechelon Technology. "Together, with unrivaled image quality and performance from NVIDIA, we can deliver advanced scalability on virtually any platform, enabling ultra high-resolution, eye-limiting displays, which are absolutely required for our most demanding users."

boggle

Quote:
"Seeing the new NVIDIA Quadro Plex VCS running Google Earth is an astounding visual experience," said Michael Jones, chief technologist, Google Earth, Maps and Local. "This extreme level of performance and resolution takes the viewer from visual simulation to emotional reality, showing the Earth in its full detail and glory. Google Earth and the NVIDIA Quadro Plex VCS are a perfect pair--powering a new world of imagination."

Haha oh sure Michael Jones, I'm going to buy me a $40,000 set of Quadro Plex's for THE BEST DIRECTION FINDING EXPERIENCE EV3R!!!1 I might even overlook the fact that the satellite image quality is the same so it doesn't really matter. Make sure you wipe thoroughly to get the taste of ass off your lips [smile]

Oh wait I just found another quote:
Quote:
"You wouldn't believe just how sharp the terminal fonts are using the new NVIDIA Quadro Plex VCS," said Byron Nicklaus, chief visual designer, Red Hat Enterprise Linux1. "The visual experience is unparalleled in its ability to turn regular characters into icons of technological beauty. The user becomes one with the machine and the brilliancy of color turns boys into men. One of the techs down the hall even got laid. We pray to the NVIDIA Gods that they may release more such powerful hardware to revitalize the graphical experience of Redhat Linux users everywhere!

1Disclaimer: Fake quote, please don't sue me Redhat (or Byron Nicklaus, if you exist).

[Edited by - Zipster on October 2, 2006 1:45:47 PM]

I have the feeling that this is for corporate use and not really for someone
who's mad for smooth polys in Quake 4 :P

Im sure this is really useful for some buisnesses, otherwise why would NV
spend all of the time developing the tech for it?

-Twixn-

The 3rd and newest box is just a pci express bus extension box with two sli systems. (also called quad sli) The same technology is available for the high end gamer market too, but those systems ship with motherboads that have 4 internal pci express slots, instead of using a very expensive external box and a single internal pci express slot.

Imho, currently the new ati cards are more flexible, because they ship the dx10 unified shader model with current cards, but the cards firmware configure the vector processors as fixed functional ones. (usually 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 vertex/pixel pipeline configurations) You can use an ati internal development bios to unlock them and this gives better performance in pixel or vertex pipeline limited applications. (and you get a dx10 card with stream acceleration for the price of a dx9)

Quote:
Im sure this is really useful for some buisnesses, otherwise why would NV
spend all of the time developing the tech for it?

military + flight simulators run at resolutions that we can only dream of eg 4000x3000 with heaps of AA
$20,000 is cheap compared to the old sgi systems (that are outperformed by a $100 card today)

This topic is 4093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.