• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hplus0603

64x FSAA! Only $20,000!

This topic is 4310 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ever wanted to play Quake with 64x FSAA, on a wall-projected HD cinema screen? Just buy a $20,000 graphics card from nVIDIA, and you can realize this dream! /me shakes head and imagines five years from now when that performance will come in a PC for $300. And, yes, it's a "graphics card" that comes in a totally separate enclosure, hooking up to your computer using a "plex link" cable and a PCI 16x slot. (These kinds of things were of course done by SGI for a long time -- I just find this nVIDIA release to be a defining moment of the "new world" of graphics)

Advertisement
Damn there's a maximum of 2 per host? I was going to buy a dozen and build a $1500 system to plug them into, but I guess that's out of the question...

I can only imagine what the shipping insurance would be as well!

And just how fast is a 2M "plex link" cable? Wouldn't it be ironic to have such a powerful piece of hardware be limited by some dinky cable?

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Aww man, they require 2 gb of RAM! How am I supposed to be able to afford that?!?

No, they HAVE 2G of VRAM.
That's just sick.
And since there's a DVI output for each card, you'll need an $8000 monitor to use it, too.
And, of course, you might as well get a PCE to complete the package.

Well, that is true, but they *also* require the PC runing them to have 2 gb (prefferably 4 gb). Just click on System Requirements.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Well, that is true, but they *also* require the PC runing them to have 2 gb (prefferably 4 gb). Just click on System Requirements.

Doh, sorry!

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Aww man, they require 2 gb of RAM! How am I supposed to be able to afford that?!?

if you can afford 200.000$+ for the linux version of discreet flame those 20k for a graphics card
actually sound pretty cheap :)

/edit
your average flame workstation actually ships on a dual dual-core with 16gb of ram

Guest Anonymous Poster
(kidding)
If it's just for anti-aliasing, why not just plug the computer to a good old videoprojector ? The image will be naturally blurred... herrm antialiased I mean :)
(/kidding)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!