Sign in to follow this  
NUCLEAR RABBIT

From C++ to Java, whats to come!?

Hello, Im currently learning C++, and have been for almost 6 months now, and I am in college. Its not any special college, just a city college, but I will be transfering to a University and majoring in Computer Science. At the university Im transfering to in about 2 and a half years from now, their computer science classes use Java and expect the students to have a prett good knowledge of Java. I've been looking around at some Java tutorials and its looks a little weird, and I've tried Java before at my high school, but didn't have intrest in it. I dunno what it was, but it just wasn't that fun to me. Maybe being a couple reasons, but w/e. For my question, Do you think it will be hard for me to transfer from C++ to Java? I dunno whether to stop C++ and learn Java so Im confortable with it by the time I get to the University (2 1/2 yrs from now), or to keep with C++ and start learning Java at the sametime. Please give me some advice as to what you would do if you were me. Thanks for any Advice or Suggestions.

Quote:
Original post by NUCLEAR RABBIT
Do you think it will be hard for me to transfer from C++ to Java?

Not if you've learned programming. If you've only learned C++, though, yes. It will be hard and painful. So start learning programming!

Quote:
I dunno whether to stop C++ and learn Java so Im confortable with it by the time I get to the University (2 1/2 yrs from now), or to keep with C++ and start learning Java at the sametime. Please give me some advice as to what you would do if you were me.

I know about 14 programming languages (some very specialized). I use four or five of them on a daily basis. There's no reason to ever stop learning any of them, nor is there any reason to only know one (or two) languages, if you wish to be a competent software developer.

Keep learning C++, start learning Java, and continue learning programming.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
I know about 14 programming languages (some very specialized). I use four or five of them on a daily basis. There's no reason to ever stop learning any of them, nor is there any reason to only know one (or two) languages, if you wish to be a competent software developer.

Amen. Switching between different paradigms can be jarring (object-oriented, functional, imperative, logic), but if you understand OO, moving to another OO language should be nearly effortless. It's just syntax, a few idioms, and a standard library.