Sign in to follow this  
The C modest god

Missing directx dll

I have compiled my program in one computer with directX and it runs fine on it. Now I have tried to run the same program on another computer but it tells me that it cannot run the program because: d3dx9_29.dll is missing. I searched my computer and saw that I only have d3dx9_28.dll This is weird, because I think I installed the same december 2005 release of directX on both comptuters. So what does the 29 says? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Original post by The C modest god
I have compiled my program in one computer with directX and it runs fine on it.
Now I have tried to run the same program on another computer but it tells me that it cannot run the program because:
d3dx9_29.dll is missing.
I searched my computer and saw that I only have d3dx9_28.dll
This is weird, because I think I installed the same december 2005 release of directX on both comptuters.
So what does the 29 says?

Thanks in advance.

Since the most obvious answer is that the second computer does not have an up-to-date DirectX install on it, I'd make sure that I'd installed the latest DirectX release before I started posting questions.

I have the latest DirectX rutime on my computer and in Windows/System32 have d3dx9_24.dll through to d3dx9_30.dll.

In answer to your question, I believe that the number at the end of the dll denotes the sub-version within DirectX9. Have a search on the second PC for d3dx*.dll and see which ones are on there.

Quote:
Original post by TheAdmiral
Don't have genuine Windows? Well that's your problem.

But there are plenty of places to get the SDK that aren't hosted by Microsoft, and even some that are.

Regards
Admiral

Actually I do have a purchased genuine windows.
Perhaps it wont update your directX if it is 9c eventhough the sub version is not up to date.
Never mind, I have installed the febuary 2006 sdk directX libraries and it worked.
Thanks anyway.

No, it is not "your problem".

It is a poor business decision to limit your target audience due to someone else's corporate fiscal policy.

What is the last d3dx9_xx.dll that is legally includable?

I think if anything deserved to be in the Frequently Asked Questions it's this one [lol]

The FAQ is your friend: Redist #2: The D3DX DLL’s and Redist #3: Integrating DirectSetup with Visual Studio.

Quote:
It is a poor business decision to limit your target audience due to someone else's corporate fiscal policy.
huh? There's plenty of discussion on the internet, mailing lists and newsgroups about the static versus dynamic approach (some of it I summarised in the FAQ's linked above), but suffice to say I don't understand your sentiments here [smile]

Quote:
What is the last d3dx9_xx.dll that is legally includable?
Provided you use DirectSetup all of them are legally includable. Using the latest d3dx9d_31_beta.dll (October '06) is probably not such a smart idea though (both a debug and a beta)...

hth
Jack