Sign in to follow this  
Goguigo

Strange thing... Max Image Res?

I was doing some resolution experiment. I created a small app that loads a 2048x100 pixel image. In a V555 motorola, the application wasn't valid, but ina J300 sony ericsson and a 6670 worked without issues. :S What can be the problem? THanks

I've seen this happen a dozen times...

1. Many phones don't support large images per se, some don't support images larger than their canvas size.
2. Large images often exceed the phone's heap space (yours eats at least 614 KB on the heap at runtime!)

In my personal experience using an image wider than 256 or 512 (depends on phone) pixels can cause problems (refuses to load on most phones). Vertical height dosen't appear to have limits, unless of course you run out of heap. I've managed to load a 16*1536 image before on to a 1st edition series 40 nokia, but YMMV. Remember the size of the PNG file is not how much space it will take form the heap. an image when loaded into the phones memory usually takes width*height*2 bytes of heap, some phones use more. Also vertical strips sometimes compress better in PNG, giving you some extra JAR space.