3D objects toward a flat 2D tiled scene.

Started by
4 comments, last by silverphyre673 17 years, 6 months ago
I have a question; I’m working on a 2D game project. I would like to create 3D models and use them on a flat sheet. I’m using a 2D scene using tiles already, a village set on a 1024x1024 sheet. I would like to add buildings created in 3D in order to use different angles without redrawing them with a pencil each time. Is there any good way to add/manipulate 3D elements into a 2D(flat) scene? Thanks!
Advertisement
do these objects need to rotate during the game, or do you just want to rotate them around to get the right look for you scene?

if its the latter then you just need to render your building and use the rendered image as a sprite.
Yeah I just want to rotate them in the scene until things are looking perfect. I was wondering if many people was doing it, and what was the most efficient practices.
i know in maya you can load a picture that will display in the background, then you could load all you're models and do whatever until they look right, then you could render the scene and cut out the individual objects as sprites and plop them into you're game, or you could make them part of the tile set if you like.

i'm not an animator or anything though, that's just how i'd go about it.
Quote:Original post by minamur
i know in maya you can load a picture that will display in the background, then you could load all you're models and do whatever until they look right, then you could render the scene and cut out the individual objects as sprites and plop them into you're game, or you could make them part of the tile set if you like.

i'm not an animator or anything though, that's just how i'd go about it.

do you know if there's a similar feature in 3D studio max? How is this feature called?

I'm trying to make something similar to earliest games like Warcraft and Civilization. They used a flat 2D scene similar with 3D elements "without" any sort of perpective distortion.

I think you're going about it backwards. What you want is to display a 2D scene (the village texture) in the background in 3D, and display your models on top of it. Basically, you can texture a quad with the village texture, and then render your 3D models on top of the quad.
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement