[web] Server Vulnerabilities

Started by
3 comments, last by Cygnus_X 17 years, 6 months ago
I was running a program against my server called Nikto, which is suppose to spot security issues with your website... and it produced the following message: /index.php?top_message=<script>alert(document.cookie)</script> - Led-Forums allows any user to change the welcome message, and it is vulnerable to Cross Site Scripting (XSS). CA-2000-02. (GET) I'm not sure what it means, but I figured it looked serious enough to ask the question here.
Advertisement
From what I can see, I'd guess the problem is that you aren't "safifying" the welcome message contents. If someone gives you a welcome message that's just "hi" it's all well and good, but what happens if they were to enter "DROP TABLE users" or something? If you aren't escaping/safifying your input, you're vulnerable to having a malicious user do something like that.
Quote:Original post by Spidy
"safifying"

The correct term would be sanitizing.
SQL insertion is not the threat. As already stated, cross site scripting is. Cross site scripting is when someone else (bad person) is able to run &#106avascript in the context of your website (either through a browser flaw, or because you let them do it though posting). Since the browser will think the &#106avascript belongs to your site, it will have access to read and write any cookies your site stored &#111;n the users computer.
So as long as I don't store too valuable of information in the cookie, I'm ok then?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement