[DELETE]

Started by
5 comments, last by GairenKarrandeas 17 years, 5 months ago
. [Edited by - chrisparton1991 on November 11, 2009 9:11:29 PM]
Advertisement
might make a cute little flash game. the gravity sounds kind of cool
I like the idea. The gravity ideas nice and it's quite quirky. Ya' never now- it could be the next big flash game. If the game continues on until you lose though 2-3 minutes might be a tiny bit long for an increase in difficulty. 1 1/2 or so would probably make more sense for a casual pick-up and play game like this.

Oh...and I may be mistaken, but wouldn't this go better in Game Design instead?
The game seems problematic. At its core, it's a fast-paced twitch shooter. In an unconstrained situation such as the one you've described, especially one taking place in a single room, cover would be almost nonexistent. The only workable strategy is "shoot everything really fast". Concurrently, however, the lack of gravity constraints makes this really difficult. Even at widest FOV, you can't see much of what's behind or above you. When enemies spawn, therefore, they will see you and you won't see them. You'd have to be constantly whirling just to stay alive, which wouldn't be particularly fun. Even using 3D positional audio to keep track of enemies wouldn't work, because HRTF simulations are no good at positioning a sound above you.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
The game seems problematic. At its core, it's a fast-paced twitch shooter. In an unconstrained situation such as the one you've described, especially one taking place in a single room, cover would be almost nonexistent. The only workable strategy is "shoot everything really fast". Concurrently, however, the lack of gravity constraints makes this really difficult. Even at widest FOV, you can't see much of what's behind or above you. When enemies spawn, therefore, they will see you and you won't see them. You'd have to be constantly whirling just to stay alive, which wouldn't be particularly fun. Even using 3D positional audio to keep track of enemies wouldn't work, because HRTF simulations are no good at positioning a sound above you.

This is a 2-D game. Of course you can see what's behind and above you. I'd imagine you be given a room with all sides in sight and when you change gravity the room either rotates or your character moves to where the gravity is centered now. Cover I see as a problem now. Of course there's furniture, chandeliers, etc. but finding away to have a person use that as cover in a 2D environment might be difficult.
It sounds like it would work, so long as you apply a healthy amount of ridiculousness to it. Twice daily. By that, I mean make it crazy; unheard of enemies and wacky, innovative weapons.

The one gravity gimmick you mentioned might not be enough, on its own, to draw players to the game.
Make all the objects in the room (sans enemies) fall to the new floor whenever you change walls.

Squishie!
----------The universe is, in reality, an incredibly long and complex setup for a joke that is so infinitely stupid that humans cannot percieve it....That's what makes it funny.*On April 1st, will change name of every topic created by me to "WHOAH! BEST GAME IDEA EVER! READ ME MORON!!"...Or not.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement