have I misunderstood remove_if behavior?

Started by
3 comments, last by wild_pointer 17 years, 6 months ago

class Foo {
  bool foo_;
public:
  Foo(bool foo) : foo_(foo) {}

bool Bar() { return foo_; }
};

int main() {
  std::vector<Foo*> foos;
  foos.push_back(new Foo(false));
  foos.push_back(new Foo(true));

for(std::vector<Foo*>::iterator i = foos.begin(); i != foos.end(); ++ i)
  {
    std::cout << "Bar() = " << (*i)->Bar() ? "true" : "false" << std::endl;
  }

std::cout << std::endl;

struct IsBar {
    bool operator() (Foo* foo) {
      return foo->Bar();
    }
  };

std::remove_if(foos.begin(), foos.end(), IsBar());

for(vector<Foo*>::iterator i = foos.begin(); i != foos.end(); ++ i)
  {
    std::cout << "Bar() = " << (*i)->Bar() ? "true" : "false" << std::endl;
  }
}

Output is:

false
true
true
true

true
true
true
true
Shouldn't the second block of output end with false? remove_if moves elements that satisfy the predicate to the end of the range, correct? I'm really confused by this :(
[size=2]
Advertisement
Nope! [smile] See here (note 1). The basic problem is, remove_if operates on iterators, not containers. Iterators have no way to actually erase their elements from a container, so the actual erasure is left to the user. remove_if just makes the erasure part easy.
remove_if can be kinda confusing

Quote:Remove_if removes from the range [first, last) every element x such that pred(x) is true. That is, remove_if returns an iterator new_last such that the range [first, new_last) contains no elements for which pred is true. [1] The iterators in the range [new_last, last) are all still dereferenceable, but the elements that they point to are unspecified.

Or to put it another way, remove_if returns an iterator, and the value of elements after the iterator could be anything.

edit: beat by Sneftel
A standard useage pattern of remove_if:

std::vector<whatever> foos;  foos.erase(    std::remove_if(foos.begin(), foos.end(), IsBar()),    foos.end()  );

Alternatively:
template<typename Container, typename Pred>Container::iterator remove_stuff( Container& container, Pred pred ){  return    container.erase(      std::remove_if(container.begin(), container.end(), pred ),      container.end()    );}

Now, simple replace:
  std::remove_if(foos.begin(), foos.end(), IsBar());

with
  remove_stuff(foos, IsBar());

Quote:Original post by Will F
The iterators in the range [new_last, last) are all still dereferenceable, but the elements that they point to are unspecified.

That's the bit I missed. I always thought it just shuffled around the elements in the container.

But then it would just be partition :D I guess I'm looking for partition.

[Edited by - wild_pointer on October 1, 2006 10:40:16 AM]
[size=2]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement