Sign in to follow this  
Verminox

Starting off with 3D

Ok so I've been doing a lot of programming and am fairly comfortable with C++ and basic SDL. Now although I havn't really made a finished game with SDL (just rough programs of moving objects around the screen), I am really intrested in starting off with 3D stuff with OpenGL, and the tutorials from NeHe look promising. So should I directly jump to 3D now or should I first make a couple of games in 2D using SDL? I know in the end it is a matter of personal choice but will there be any disadvantages if I go straight to 3D so soon? Also, even though I'm fairly good with the programming and maths and physics parts, I'm not good at graphics. For example, I still don't know how to use Photoshop and am unfamiliar with most of the terms involved in graphics design, as I was never really very intrested in it. Will this be a problem for me right now and/or in the future because I want to take up game developing to professional level? Would I need to start doing graphics or can I survive with just the core programming and structuring part? Thanks for your help.

Depends. Do you need to know about the content production side of graphics (using photoshop, modelling programs, et cetera)? No, not really. It might help you talk to artists though.

Do you need to know about graphics programming? If you want to be a graphics programmer, then certainly (this book and this book are excellent bits of reading material for the subject). If you don't want to specialize in graphics, then you don't need to know nearly as much.