Sign in to follow this  
orochimaruSanin

Can do or cant do is the question ???

Hello to all the game devs out there. I was thinking about going into the field of game development (basically gameplay programming and scripting). I know: 1. C (intermediate level) 2. C++ (beginner) 3. Perl and PHP (beginner) 4. Third Party Library (Irrlicht) (intermediate) But i am 22 now and my friends say that to go into this core field you need to have expert knowledge in all the languages mentioned above, and since i dont have that kind of knowledge they say dont even try it since all the famous game devs are the ones who were programming overlords in their teens. I really have interest in game dev field since i have played a lot of games and can comment or contribute in a decent manner to any intelligble discussion (like how the game play should be or in solving the problems which one faces while developing games). I even have made a game using Irrlicht in which i did odd things like making the snow flakes fall, making an interface and using the basic functionality of Audiere Sound Library. I just wanted to know if I should still try to move into this field or like my friends say just retreat to the shadows and be a normal software developer (like C# and ASP .NET dev). I was planning to do a MS degree from America in Computer Science after 3-4 years (after i collect the funds required for studyign there) Anyone out there who started late and is a sucessful developer ??? Just need to know the pro's advice. Thanks a lot in advance and sorry if i caused any trouble to you.

Quote:
Original post by orochimaruSanin
But i am 22 now and my friends say that to go into this core field you need to have expert knowledge in all the languages mentioned above, and since i dont have that kind of knowledge they say dont even try it since all the famous game devs are the ones who were programming overlords in their teens.

And how many of your friends are game developers, again? [wink]

It makes no difference whether you start at 22, 16, 4 or 50. Whatever your age, all it takes is practice, skill and a good dose of of persistence or stubbornness.

If you want to get a job developing Doom 4 when you're 23, you should have started earlier, yes. But if you just want to get there eventually, when you've gained the neccesary knowledge and experience, there's no problem.

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Maybe i will just try with all i have got and maybe get ready for Doom 5 ;)
But the thing is that of all the stories of devs i have heard they all strted out early so just wanted to know if anyone has ever achieved the feat of being an accomplished game prog.

But again thanks in advance for ur reply.