Difficult computer science problem

Started by
58 comments, last by Ezbez 17 years, 6 months ago
Does anyone know an algorithm that recieves an unknown amount of numbers(it stops when it recieves -1) and calculates how many of them are above the average without using an array, list, vector, stack, file ect.? Is it even possible?
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Advertisement
so this algorithm can't read/receive the numbers from an array or a file? well then how are you sending the numbers to the program? manual input?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

The term you are looking for is "constant space".

This problem is provably unsolvable in constant space. Assume for a moment that we have inserted all integers between 1 and (N-1) into the program. The last integer we insert can result in any number of integers between N/2 and (N-1) being lower than the average (we can insert, to this effect, any number between 0 and N²). Therefore, the program must store enough information to determine which of the N/2 possibilities is valid, which cannot be done for any N if we restrict ourselves to constant space.
I'm assuming you can hold variables. Can't you have a variable that's initialised to zero. Then if the inputted number is greater than the average then increase the variable. If it's -1 then quit. Or have I missed an obvious problem?
This sounds suspiciously like homework. All I'll say is that it can be solved within the constraints listed using a technique that teachers/professors love to set homework problems about.

EDIT: This does depend on the interpretation of the list of constraints.

Σnigma
The obvious problem is that you need to know all the numbers to get the average.

It can be done if you iterated the sequence twice, once to find the average and again to count how many are higher. Without storing them, you'd have the input the whole sequence twice.
Quote:Original post by Deyja
The obvious problem is that you need to know all the numbers to get the average.

It can be done if you iterated the sequence twice, once to find the average and again to count how many are higher. Without storing them, you'd have the input the whole sequence twice.

Ah, I misread it. I thought it was a given average as opposed to the average of the numbers inputted.
Well..I'm curious. Maybe the OP can let us know when teh homework gets turned in so someone can tell me what this is all about :)
Quote:Original post by Enigma
This sounds suspiciously like homework. All I'll say is that it can be solved within the constraints listed using a technique that teachers/professors love to set homework problems about.

EDIT: This does depend on the interpretation of the list of constraints.

Σnigma

what is "interpretation of the list of constraints"?
Quote:Original post by Semion_N
what is "interpretation of the list of constraints"?

It is the interpretation of the ect (sic) in the OP's question. Does his question mean to rule out any memory storage (constant space solving, which is provably impossible)? Does his question mean to rule out only the standard imperative storage approaches (hinting at an easily expressed recursive solution)?

I've interpreted it as the first option, since a recursive solution technically uses a stack (unless it uses tail recursion, but then the problem becomes provably unsolvable again). If it's homework, then the recursive solution would be a good answer, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement