Difficult computer science problem

Started by
58 comments, last by Ezbez 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by The Reindeer Effect
Solution in linear space but with no explicit data structures

(define (foo input)  (let ((average #f))    (let loop ((n 0) (total 0))      (let ((i (input)))	(if (= i -1)	    (begin (set! average (/ total n)) 0)	    (let ((val (loop (+ n 1) (+ total i))))	      (+ val (if (> i average) 1 0))))))))
Yes but that doesn't work. Try it on the simple example of (1,2,3,4,100). Only one is above average, but it would say that all of them are.

Just forget it, it's provably impossible.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Advertisement
If the stack is assumed to be of infinite size, then a linear-space C solution would be:

int above_average_rec(int (*f)(), int n, float* avg) {  int above;  int x = f();  if (x == -1) {    *avg = *avg / n;    return 0;  }  *avg = *avg + x;  above = above_avg_rec(f,n+1,avg);  if (x < *avg) return above;  return above + 1;}int above_average(int (*f)()) {  float avg;  return above_average_rec(f,0,&avg);}

Nitage: it could also be assumed that the input can be read twice, which does indeed make the problem trivial. It makes the solution trivial: in fact, the first reaction to the problem in the absence of any constraints is to "loop twice". If the same approach is also possible when constraints are applied, what is the point of the problem? Moreover, what is the point of restricting the existence of arrays, stacks, lists and similar data structures if the simplest thing that could possibly work didn't need them anyway? The basic premise of a puzzle is that the straightforward solution does not work, so you have to look for something more complex. I am reluctant to make the assumption that a puzzle question is, in fact, just a silly question.
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
If the stack is assumed to be of infinite size, then a linear-space C solution would be:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Nitage: it could also be assumed that the input can be read twice, which does indeed make the problem trivial. It makes the solution trivial: in fact, the first reaction to the problem in the absence of any constraints is to "loop twice". If the same approach is also possible when constraints are applied, what is the point of the problem? Moreover, what is the point of restricting the existence of arrays, stacks, lists and similar data structures if the simplest thing that could possibly work didn't need them anyway? The basic premise of a puzzle is that the straightforward solution does not work, so you have to look for something more complex. I am reluctant to make the assumption that a puzzle question is, in fact, just a silly question.

Seeing as the puzzle is either impossible or trivially easy, I'd say that you don't have to make any assumptions to realise that it's a silly question.
I see that lot of people here say that the problem is unsolvable so can you please prove mathematically your argument?

Because just saying that the problem is unsolvable is not an evidence that it really is.

[Edited by - Semion_N on October 2, 2006 4:25:30 AM]
Quote:Original post by NitageSeeing as the puzzle is either impossible or trivially easy, I'd say that you don't have to make any assumptions to realise that it's a silly question.

After having had some contact with online algorithms in my studies, I don't think I can easily dismiss a problem like that without having either a solution or a conclusive mathematical proof that it is impossible. Calling something a "silly question" is the easy way out.
Guys, seriously. Don't be dense. There are only a few possible sets of assumptions.

Assumptions 1: constant space required, stream can only be read once. This is provably impossible, and the proof was given right near the beginning of the thread.

Assumptions 2: constant space required, stream can be read more than once. This is trivial: read the stream twice, calculating the average the first time and counting the above-average values the second time.

Assumptions 3: constant space not required (but we can't use an explicit variable-size data structure), stream can only be read once. This is trivial (well, almost): recurse to put all the values onto the program stack, summing them on the way up; at the end of stream, determine the average (you will have passed the current sum and recursion depth all the way up), and then return all the way back, each time passing back a structure holding just the average (so you can keep track of it) and the number of above-average values found so far (such a structure surely does not qualify as "an array, list, vector, stack, etc."; we could alternately put the average value into a global variable once known).

Assumptions 4: constant space not required (but we can't use an explicit variable-size data structure), stream can be read more than once. This is trivial: Use either method 2 or method 3.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Guys, seriously. Don't be dense. There are only a few possible sets of assumptions.

Assumptions 1: constant space required, stream can only be read once. This is provably impossible, and the proof was given right near the beginning of the thread.

Assumptions 2: constant space required, stream can be read more than once. This is trivial: read the stream twice, calculating the average the first time and counting the above-average values the second time.

Assumptions 3: constant space not required (but we can't use an explicit variable-size data structure), stream can only be read once. This is trivial (well, almost): recurse to put all the values onto the program stack, summing them on the way up; at the end of stream, determine the average (you will have passed the current sum and recursion depth all the way up), and then return all the way back, each time passing back a structure holding just the average (so you can keep track of it) and the number of above-average values found so far (such a structure surely does not qualify as "an array, list, vector, stack, etc."; we could alternately put the average value into a global variable once known).

Assumptions 4: constant space not required (but we can't use an explicit variable-size data structure), stream can be read more than once. This is trivial: Use either method 2 or method 3.

I think you right, good answer man.
Quote:Original post by Nitage
Seeing as the puzzle is either impossible or trivially easy, I'd say that you don't have to make any assumptions to realise that it's a silly question.

Proving something in computer science (especially proving that something is impossible) is definitely not a silly question, or we wouldn't be working on those pesky P = NP questions.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman

The link you gave me above is not the mathematical proof it's just the definition of the problem, mathematical proof that the problem is unsolvable is to exhibit one case which shows that the problem is unsolvable.
and if you wantr to prove that the problem is solvable you should show that all the cases is TRUE.
Quote:Original post by Semion_N
The link you gave me above is not the mathematical proof it's just the definition of the problem, mathematical proof that the problem is unsolvable is to exhibit one case which shows that the problem is unsolvable.
and if you wantr to prove that the problem is solvable you should show that all the cases is TRUE.

Not really. The post he linked to proves that for each program which runs in constant space on any input, there exists a sequence of numbers for which an incorrect result is computed by that program. Ergo, no program may solve the problem in constant space.

Read the linked post again to understand why such a sequence always exists.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement