[.net] C# 2D Managed DirectX Tutorial?

Started by
3 comments, last by Rob Loach 17 years, 6 months ago
Since DirectDraw is deprecated, I'm looking to learn how to draw 2D graphics using Direct3D. As far as I can tell, this is only done by rendering a textured quad. Is it possible to draw 2D graphics like in DirectDraw, or is it all textured quads in Direct3D? Either way, I'm looking for a tutorial on 2D Direct3D graphics.
Advertisement
There is D3DXSprite to help, or manually doing textured quads work. Drunken Hyena has good tutorials in C# on the subject.
Textured Quads are most likely a great way to go, I have heard lots of issues with Sprites and Shaders. However Sprites are great for simple, quick and easy graphics like tile based maps. Very easy to batch render a ton of sprites.

Should also check out Coding4Fun

[Edited by - Krisc on October 1, 2006 9:44:25 PM]
There is a Managed DirectX Tutorial for 2D for Visual studio 2003, and 2005 in the latest release of the DirectX SDK.

That's a great place to start.
It might actually be a better idea to take the XNA route, since Managed DirectX isn't quite supported anymore. If you download the XNA Game Studio Express (Beta), the first tutorial shows you how to display 2D graphics using XNA and C#. Also, feel free to take a look at my basic XNA implementation of pong: PongXNA.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement