Sign in to follow this  
suliman

different regions, different lists

Hi I have a rts-map with round about 640 000 tiles (800x800) divided into naibourhoods. A hood can be for example x=400; y=322; w=200; h=250; defining one courner and the width and height (in tiles). All tiles in the world belongs to a certain hood (and only one hood), and as a unit stands on a tile, he must know what hood that tile belongs to. What is the fastest way to do this? Of course i could (each time a unit moves) go through a list of all hoods and find the corresponding one, but this seemes pretty brutish to me (i will have lots and lots of units wandering about). I could do this check more seldom but that would some ticks go before realizing he has entered a new hood. Thanks! Erik

how bout making each hood have a list of neighboring hoods, and then the process of cycling through hoods would be much shorter

Well if your hoods are not regularly spaced then it is a bit difficult, but can definitely be improved from standard brute force methods.

You could add a cache to each of your units (if you can afford the extra memory) as follows.

The basic algorithm is this:
1.) Test whether the unit is still in the last known region. If yes, early exit.
2.) Test whether the unit is in a neighbour of the last known region. If yes, update the cache and early exit.
3.) Brute force test against all regions, update the cache and exit.

CRegion *FindRegion(CUnit *pUnit)
{
int i;

// unit is still in the same region
if (pUnit->pCacheRegion->ContainsTile(pUnit->TileX, pUnit->TileY))
{
return pUnit->pCacheRegion;
}
// otherwise check the regions neighbours only
for (i = 0; i < pUnit->pCacheRegion->NumNeighbours; i++)
{
if (pUnit->pCacheRegion->apNeighbour[i]->ContainsTile(pUnit->TileX, pUnit->TileY))
{
// update the cache for next time
pUnit->pCacheRegion = pUnit->pCacheRegion->apNeighbour[i];
}
}
// otherwise as a last resort brute force it. (Should only happen if units
// can skip from one region to another without having to pass through
// neighbouring regions (eg. a teleporting unit)
for (i = 0; i < NumWorldRegions; i++)
{
if (WorldRegionList[i]->ContainsTile(pUnit->TileX, pUnit->TileY))
{
// update the cache for next time
pUnit->pCacheRegion = WorldRegionList[i];
}
}
return NULL;
}

An important thing to note is that you probably want to NULL the pCacheRegion member on each unit upon initialization/creation of the unit - or have it copied from the pCacheRegion of the building that created the unit

Hope this helps...