Open Source MMORPG

Started by
11 comments, last by MatrixCubed 17 years, 6 months ago
hi there. Im looking for an open source mmorpg. something either 3d or iso. Whats the best one?? im lookin for something maybe a bit easy. i dont intend to really program much, more like just host server and fiddle with it maybe. thanks. im not sure if thats a bit confusing but what im trying to say is that. Awhile ago i found somehting kinda like this. It was 3d and it allowed me to host it and all and i didnt really have to program anything. And i just like edited items to what i want and all that. It was a crappy game though which is why im lookin for something better. So if anyone knows of something like this can you gimme a link or something thanks :) [Edited by - 9sam1 on October 1, 2006 7:15:56 PM]
Advertisement
There are four cheap options I know of:

- PlaneShift.it -- Open source to the core, including the game art.
- Nevrax.org -- Open source engine and tools, but the game is pay-for (Ryzom).
- RealmCrafter -- It costs $50, but that's not very much. Comes with a bunch of starter art, and a very simple starter game.
- MMOKit + Torque -- $99 + $100. More of a toolkit than a complete game.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Also, there's RunUO, which is an open source server package designed for Ultima Online. It provides for alot of hacking about and editing, but the hatch is that to really make a "great" game, you have to (ideally) make a new client from scratch, since alot of the techniques involved in modding the Ultima Online client are so time costly and sometimes error prone that there's alot to be made in just making your own client.
_______________________Afr0Games
before i download or buy some of these. Is it possible for me to use them with out any programing knowledge? like are there tuts and programs that allow me to edit basic stuff liek items
Quote:Original post by 9sam1
before i download or buy some of these. Is it possible for me to use them with out any programing knowledge? like are there tuts and programs that allow me to edit basic stuff liek items

Are you wanting something that will give you a full MMPOG out of the box? If so, then PlaneShift or RealmCrafter are the nearest. Nevrax's NEL gives you the full SDK source, but all media and other IP is not available, so you would need to create your own.

You do realise how much work is involved in an MMPOG?

If all you want to do is tweak items, try modding an existing game, such as the Quake series, or Far Cry, or even Half Life 2. I know they're not as "sexy" as an MMPOG, but try to be realistic. :)
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
i understand how long it would take. Ive made my own 2d mmorpg before and want to upgrade to 3d. I suppose ill try planeshift since realmcrafter is pretty noob
it's possible to mod wc3 into something of an mmo. you can save a character's information across games and have 12 people in a single game. With the JASS scripting language you can make pretty much anything you want as well
but it would still be wc3. im lookin to use this more as a engine to build my game with. since i cant really code i just wanna use there program and make my own items maps quest etc.
How did you make your own 2D MMORPG if you can't code?
I think RealmCrafter is more geared towards your needs than PlaneShift. The PlaneShift development pipeline is not as developed, as far as I've been able to tell.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement