New Geometry wars clone showcase - updated to 0.3

Started by
70 comments, last by ehudros 17 years, 4 months ago
update: version 0.36 is out, allowing you to change difficulty settings and grid color. Hopefully this will help making the game more challenging... Xwars 0.36 mediafire.com seems to be working only half of the time, so here a link to the game on rapidshare: Rapidshare link and on hostFilez.com: hostfilez link If anyone wants to donate a permanent hosting space let me know...) ------ Update: version 0.35 is out! :) Added configuration file support to allow different resolutions and gamepad settings. Give it a try at: link ---------------------- Update: version 0.3 is out! :) enhanced gamepad support, lots of bug fixes and balance issues to make the game more challenging. readme.txt for full info... Xwars 0.3 ---------------------- Hi everyone, I've finally completed the first version of my geometry wars clone (currently titled XWars for lack of a better name). Please take a look and let me know what you think (suggestions/help would be appreciated): Xwars 0.2 screenshots: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Ehud (ehudros /at/ gmail /dot/ com) [Edited by - ehudros on January 9, 2007 11:46:51 AM]
Advertisement
Dosent work here. Just keep getting an error message sound but no message.

P4 2Ghz
GeForce3 Ti500
1Gb DDR
Soundblaster Live
Awesome man!!

Love the cloth sim. Looks like some pretty involved calculations going on, yet the frames rates excels. Very nice.

( <- not my rig, just temp... )
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 3200+ ( 2.19GHz )
896 MB RAM
MSI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
thanks ahayweh :)
clearz - I'll upload a version with logging to a text file soon.
I wonder what's causing the issue...

Also - to everyone who is giving it a try, please specify rig and FPS...
Nice game man. I love it. The graphics look awesome and it is very addicting. It ran great also.

It ran at about 90 FPS

Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 Processor
1 gig RAM
Intel Integrated

I love it.
Wow. That was excellent! The attention to graphical detail and particle effects was superb. Simple, yet fun pretty! I got a pretty stable 72 FPS, even with a lot of effects flying around. Granted I had some applications running in the background, but I didn't have the heart to close Visual Studio. You understand how it is [smile]

AMD Athlon64 3200+ 2.0 GHz
2Gb RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB
Creative SB Audigy 2
Quote:Original post by Zipster but I didn't have the heart to close Visual Studio. You understand how it is [smile]

Yeah, makes you feel like you're working when you aren't. :)

As for the game, those are some *really* nice special effects you've got there! Frame rate was very smooth for me (didn't actually check what it was) on a GeForce 6200 256mb. I'd really have liked the .zip to all be in a folder once you extract it; it filled up my desktop.
Really nice game. It's a right game for a coffe break, but it's addicting too.

PS: I already tried GridWars and GridAssault and was impressed, but after i found out that their developments were stopped, cause of some (not so good people, i don't want to swear,but i would like to) people...

This time i hope that this game will become final and/or maybe get a sequel.

Framerate: ca. 60-80
Specs: P4 Centrino 1.8Ghz
ATI Mobile X700 64MB
512 RAM

-----"Master! Apprentice! Heartborne, 7th Seeker Warrior! Disciple! In me the Wishmaster..." Wishmaster - Nightwish
Be aware of this. Clones of a games that uis currently shipping is known as IP infrigement.

I know you love the game, but a company is currently making of living from this IP, and releasing a free product tha reproduce the game is not really fair. Imagine the situation: you come with a great game which you intend to sell and someone makes a free clone right after you released it: while this is not piracy, this will probably hurt your sells, and the company you just created is likely to collapse.

Quote:In this day and age, coming up with an original brand is extremely difficult and rare, and retaining ownership of the IP to that title, especially as an independent developer, is rarer still. As a relatively small developer, we survive by the originality, quality and reputation of our titles, and the income that they generate. No income means no funds to support our staff and overheads - and this struggle for income is why there are so few independent companies surviving today. Obviously it would be great to provide games for free, but commercial reality does not allow this, and with GW:RE we felt we were working with a nice balanced approach to this, with the generous demo and low price point.
(...)
If you want to play Gran Turismo, but don't have a PlayStation, you play different racing games, on different platforms. Imagine what Sony/Polyphony would do to protect their IP if a company or individual were trying to clone 'Gran Turismo' for another platform? The scale is different, but the issue is fundamentally the same. Just because Geometry Wars is 'easy' to copy, it doesn't mean that it should be copied.

That said, I won't stop you from doing such coding tests. Just be careful when you release your product to others - think to what could be the effects of such release. We certainly don't want Bizzare Creation to go down, as they are one of the few indy studio that comes with interesting games out there.

Hope you get my point,
I think there are a few problems with bizzare's claims:
first, they did not invent a new concept here - far from it. games like these have existed long before they came out with geometry wars. the only thing they can claim ownership of is the unit's graphics.
Secondly, there is no PC version of the game available, so I don't believe i will affect their sales in any way (no one buys an xbox just for geometry wars).
Although I have a lot of respect to bizzare for their work, I do not believe their claim is legit and therefor believe that releasing a free game on a different platform is totally alright.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement