Do any 2D libraries/engines exist except for HGE and TGB?

Started by
5 comments, last by DeadXorAlive 17 years, 6 months ago
I'm trying to find a decent 2D library (or game engine) but the only decent ones seem to be TGB and HGE. Both of which don't really suite my needs (although HGE isn't that bad). I've tried searching and can't really find anything except really out-dated stuff like ClanLib, etc, etc...
Advertisement
I am still working on a game engine JEngine (for C++), which is already available for download at my website. It is a crossplatform 2D side scroller engine, which you may use for free (LGPL). See my profile below for a link.

Documentation and developments are still work in progress, although you can make games with it already, using the free editor.

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

You could take a look at the PopCap Framework.

What sort of needs are we talking here? To be a little more specific:
- How general do you need it? Will something designed for a specific genre do?
- How 'powerful' does it need to be? Do you want something making use of hardware acceleration, or will a software renderer do?
- Are you willing to use a different programming language? If yes what languages are you willing to look at?

- Jason Astle-Adams

A fun beginner lib that I learned on is Allegro. Nothing fancy, but it covers the basics, and is real easy to use.
Thanks for the replies...

jeroenb: I'm going to check out JEngine. In fact, I've downloaded that demo but when I launch demo.exe it displays an empty gui window and the log.txt says this:

Quote:World:create : loading layer 0 from ../../worlds/world.jwl failed.
../../scripts/demo.lua:17: attempt to index global `demoWorld' (a nil value)

As for what I want in an engine, here's what I'm looking for:

* High-quality particle effects (TGB and HGE both have this)
* GUI support (for displaying windows, menus, etc)
* Collision detection (for polygons as well as circle/rectangle, etc)
* Networking support OR the ability to add networking support
* Ability to create destructible terrain (through script or custom code)

Basically I want to create a multiplayer Scorched Earth/Worms clone but have been unable to do so mostly because of no-networking support in most 2D engines/libraries.

Ah.. thanks for the error report. I will have a look at it and upload a new fixed version as soon as possible.

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

Just curious, why is clanlib outdated? There was a new release two months ago, or do you mean something else?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement