[web] Real-time Video Conversion While Uploading

Started by
5 comments, last by nomadph 17 years, 6 months ago
Hi, This product: http://www.alstrasoft.com/videoshare.htm allows converting videos on-the-fly into Flash .flv format while user is uploading his/her video. I'd like to know how to make something similar (that is free -- free as in free beer)? Is there an open-source project already that does this? Any guides on where do I start? I'd like to do this on Ruby on Rails also if possible. Thanks!
Advertisement
*bump*
Just use ffmpeg, it's free and it'll convert stuff to flv.

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu

Just off the top of my head, a simple flow could be something like this.
1. User uploads video
2. video is saved to a temp location on the server, ID is added to a processing queue (in a db or somesuch).
3. script (can be php, or whatever) checks video queue at some interval and kicks off ffmpeg to convert it
i think what he wants is to convert a video while it is still being uploaded. I'm not sure if that's possible, but if it is it's just a matter of knowing both file formats and constantly appending to the *.flv as soon as new data arrives.

Quote:Original quote by Alstrasoft
Video files uploaded are converted on the fly

I'm not sure if that actually means they are converted while they are being uploaded. More than likely it's converted once the upload finishes.

The funny thing about this is that they're offering to set you up to make a site like Youtube. Sweet, and for only $300? (plus another $100 to customize your own flash player...what a deal) What they fail to inform you of is that sites like Youtube go through terabytes of bandwidth a day, and to handle the kind of volume they do costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per month.
i see. thanks for the replies.

do you guys know how to tell ffmpeg to only convert the first X minutes of the source video?

i could only get it to convert from 1 format to .flv...i've looked at the docs, but still don't know how...

help! thanks!
You'll probably want to install a lot of codecs and compile ffmpeg with support for them. Free distro's tend not to compile in support for non-free codecs.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

hi,

i meant to ask how to convert the first, say, 3 minutes of the source video (whose length is, let's say, 15 minutes) in ffmpeg. what are the options/parameters?

thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement