Open Source Game Engines?

Started by
7 comments, last by Rob Loach 17 years, 6 months ago
Someone sent me to this site to find an open source (I thought?) game engine. Im seeing alot of articles etc, but Im missing software downloads. Is it here, or was I misled or confused? Thanks in advance
Advertisement
There isn't an open-sourced engine maintained specifically by the GameDev.Net site or community if that's what you're asking, but we could certainly give you some advice on what engines are out there if you give us an idea of what your needs are.

A few good starting points could potentially be Haaf's Game Engine or Irrlicht amongst the many others to be found out there, but it really depends on the specifics of what you're after; give us a better idea of that and we may be able to recommend something.

Depending on your (or your programmer's) skills and the needs of the project you may also want to look into some of the cheaper engines that can be licences, such as Torque or C4 Engine, but again it depends on your specific needs and budget (if any) as to whether these could be a good option.

You may also be interested in looking at the 3d game and graphics engines database at DevMaster.net.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Well this is what someone told me that led me here "Pick an engine from http://www.gamedev.net. ClanLib is good."

However anything and everything would be of interest.

What I am seeking to do is design a MMOG. Looking for a good deal of flexibility, 32 to 128 visible players dependent on player settings, hopefully changeable in game, zoneless style play (ie they load 9 smaller zones being the one they are in and the 8 around them at a time as they move so that they can freely cross into a new zone without a delay), etc etc.

Suggestions?
You won't find any out-of-the-box solution for that.

You're going to have to put a lot of work into it. You can combine some existing engines, such as those previously mentioned. I'm not aware of an open-source engine that would provide the networking infastructure you need, but you can look at the "Alternative Game Libraries" forum here, which has a sticky thread with a list of libraries.
whoever sent you here to "get" an engine made a mistake. Maybe what they ment to say was "Go to gamedev and search their forums for 'open source game engine' to help you pick a good engine. I personally like ClanLib".

I found a wiki chart for game engines but have lost it. If someone else here knows the link I'm talking about, please post it (and I tried to re-google for it and can't find it again).

Personally I know I considered trying Irrlich, I own Torque, and recently I downloaded 2-3 from the list to investigate further, FlatRedBall was one of them. It depends almost completely on your langauge / platform and game needs.

I would generally break them down fisrt into language / platform:
- Native, Windows Only (usually targeted primarily for C++)
- Native, Cross-Platform (usually targeted primarily for C++)
- .NET, Windows Only (I recommend C# for Managed projects unless you have significant experience in another managed language - VB6 does not count)
- Python, Cross-Platform
- Java, Cross-Platform

Then of course your level of development and game-type - I don't have a real definative list for this one, but they vary from just graphics engines (Ogre3D), Platform wrappers (SDL), Special Libraries (ODE), full-service frameworks (Torque, FlatRedBall).

The full service choices are better IF you find one that matches what you are trying to build, otherwise the libraries may be better.
I can't seem to get to the server from my location, but Nevrax's NeL is an open-source MMO engine; it is used in their game "Saga of Ryzom".
Thanks, I will check that out.

Anyone else have other suggestions?

Also I found in the meantime something called Realmcrafter. Not free but quite cheap. Anyone have experience with this? Looks a tad dated.
List of game engines
[size=2]
Kylotan's Free Game Development Libraries is still kickin'.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement