Sign in to follow this  
ccanan

OpenGL What's the corresponding format in d3d?

I am reading some source code written in opengl, it create texture with the following format: GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT3_EXT GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT I want to write a similar one in directx,but not sure about the corresponding data format. I guess I should use the format like D3DFMT_DXT1|D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 or D3DFMT_DXT1|D3DFMT_8R8G8B8, is that right? thx in advance!

You can't combine formats like you suggested, so you'll have to pick just one.

I'm no OpenGL expert, but from a guess it'll be one of the DXTn formats. The difference between RGB_DXT1 and RGBA_DXT1 could be a bit misleading though - I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think D3DFORMAT_DXT1 is just RGB and it might be DXT2/3/4/5 that has a proper (pre-multiplied) alpha channel...

The SDK documentation has a section on the DXTn formats, have a read through that and see where you get. Bare in mind that it is possible there is no direct correlation between OpenGL and D3D...

hth
Jack

There is a correlation.
DXT comes from S3's S3TC
The format is the same no matter what API you use because that's what the GPU needs.

Also, the ccanan forgot to mention GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT5_EXT

sorry that: I can't visit the url.
So you mean: when GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT3_EXT is used in opengl, it's just ok to use D3DFMT_DXT3?
and both the GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT and GL_COMPRESSED_RGB_S3TC_DXT1_EXT both corresspond to D3DFMT_DXT1