So your trapped on this desert island...

Started by
9 comments, last by the_dannobot 17 years, 6 months ago
... for some reason of insignificant importance. And you discover this genie who will grant you the ability to shoot fireballs out of your hands if you can answer his skill challenging question. Without a moment's thought, you agree to the challenge and are asked: Genie: 6 genies whos ill fate left them with but 4 port routers, wish to LAN their great computers. But how can they do this, if but only 4 ports can be attached to each router? You give a moments ponder, and then decide to throw a most clever answer, in the form of question. Guybrush: What seems to be the problem? The genie gives a brief look of dismay, and in a confessional fashion says.. Genie: I googled a dozen tutorials, but I can't seem to get it working without me needing to repair my connection every few hours. =/ To which you reply...
Advertisement
1) Something evil about MS, and how the genies should use Linux.
2) "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for life" - "Repair a genie's connection and you get him occupied for a couple of hours; teach a genie to understand networks and you keep him occupied for life"
3) It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Is this a real problem you're having, or just some hypothetical question?
Connect computers 1, 2, 3 to Router A.

Connect computers 4, 5, 6 to Router B.

Disable the DHCP server on Router B, so its pretty much a glorfied switch.

Connect Router B to Router A.

...Unless I am misunderstanding the question entirely...
Quote:Original post by CTar
2) "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for life"

The genie becomes frustrated by your lack of comprehension, and turns you into a newt. The world seems slightly larger to you now.
Quote:Original post by kryat
Connect computers 1, 2, 3 to Router A.

Connect computers 4, 5, 6 to Router B.

Disable the DHCP server on Router B, so its pretty much a glorfied switch.

Connect Router B to Router A.

...Unless I am misunderstanding the question entirely...

The last tutorial I read said I should set Router A and B to use static LAN IP assignments. Router A to go from 1-30, Router B to go from 31-100. And then some more crazy toggles that I niether understood or remember.

I reset my routers and disabled the DHCP on Router B. It'll be an hour or so before I can confirm if it fixed it or not.
So you say you got it working, but only for a few hours and then it doesnt work? Thats really wierd, I dont understand that at all.
Yeah, if you're still having trouble you might want to make sure your PCs have the gateway set properly (assuming they're not getting it from DHCP) and that all the routers are getting unique IP addresses.
This may have been said before, but make sure you don't use the WAN/Internet port on Router(B).
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Yeah, if you're still having trouble you might want to make sure your PCs have the gateway set properly (assuming they're not getting it from DHCP) and that all the routers are getting unique IP addresses.

Good point, i'd change the IP address of Router B to something, anything else, just as long as its not fighting for Router A for the same IP.

I have had the same problem, doing various things with Microsoft Networks...(briding connections across multiple networks)

Is this just flaws that Microsoft has? It sure seems like it...I've never found a *real solution...only by repairing the connection, or unpluggin, repluggin, or unbriding, re bridging (only works sometimes...weird)

Hopefully these things will be somewhat fixed in Vista

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement