Sign in to follow this  

Terrain

This topic is 4094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have just started to learn Direct x 8 With VB6 and i am starting a beginnger project of a game, at the moment its just a object which can move in empty 3d space what i would like to know is how i go about making a landscape/terrain it only has to be basic Any help would be appreciated

You could look for a heightmap generating tool. Most popular modelling packages probably have a plugin that does this. Often these tools can generate a model from a greyscale image and they're usually capable of randomly generating terrain. You then load this model into your program as a bunch of vertices, faces and such, and display it.

Although I must say, terrains as seen in 3D RTS and MMORPG games almost always get their own file format; the level file, which usually contains additional data for entity and prop model placement. Most companies use their own home-cooked editors, or a modified existing one. You probably don't need that for now, but that depends on what you call 'basic'. :)

This topic is 4094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.