Sign in to follow this  

n00by game engine help

This topic is 4093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making my first game engine solely around c++ and the Win32 API. I know it will be extremely sucky and most likely won't be any good for even a reasonable game [smile], but I think it would be a better idea than plunging head-first into a fully-fledged DirectX engine like some tourist down a back alley [smile]. Anyway, enough about that. I was wondering if this would be a good way to implement a basic fullscreen feature for my engine: In the window style segment of the CreateWindow() function in my engine(WS_...), set the style to WS_POPUPWINDOW and for the width and height, use GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN) and GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN). Would this be the most effective way of implemeting a simple fullscreen example without large amounts of code or altenative libraries? Thanks, Chris P.S: I appreciate criticism, but only if it's constructive [wink]

Quote:
Original post by chrisparton1991
I think it would be a better idea than plunging head-first into a fully-fledged DirectX engine like some tourist down a back alley [smile].

Not really. If you're a game developer, your object with the Win32 API--at least, as it relates to windowing--is to learn only as much as you have to so that you never have to look at it again. Nobody uses GDI for serious games, and the graphical APIs they do use are completely independent of GDI once they've been properly set up. IMO, learning to make a graphically interesting game with GDI is not a good way to spend your learning time.

This topic is 4093 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.