Sign in to follow this  
Makari

Beginner @ DirectX 9. August 2006 SDK not linking

Hello, I'm just trying to get started using DirectX. However, upon reading through the tutorials supplied with the August 2006 SDK (the VERY FIRST one CreateDevice) and compiling it gives me a linking error stating that I had some unknown external symbols. I did some browsing and it has been repeatedly known to be an issue with a .lib inclusion. However, when linking my .lib file into the project I was presented with two choices ..\Lib\x64 and ..\Lib\x86. Which (if either) of these should I be using? Basically, I just need help with knowing what I need to link in to get the first tutorial up and running and I can probably figure it out from there. I tried linking the ..\Lib\x64\d3d9.lib and ..\Lib\x64\d3d9x.lib files into the project and received: "d3dx9.lib : fatal error LNK1113: invalid machine type" as a result. I am using the CreateDevice.cpp file EXACTLY as it appears in the SDK and have the project opened as a Win32 Application. I am using VC++ 6.0 and my computer is as follows: Intel4 Pentium 3.2GHz Windows XP Pro NVidia GeForce 7300GT 512MB NVidia4 SLI Motherboard 1GB DDR2 RAM

You have a 32-bit processor (and I assume you aren't using the 64-bit version of Windows XP Pro) so you should be using the x86 libs.

Also, I wasn't aware VC6 was supported any more for the DirectX SDKs. Unless you have a very good reason to stay with VC6, you should upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 (the express edition is free).

Regards,
ViLiO

Thanks. I had figured I was using a 32 bit processor and the x64 was meant for 64 bit. But I had also figured that x86 was for 86 bit processors (which to my knowledge don't even exist) and so didn't think to try using the files found there.

I changed my lib directory to x86 and it worked perfectly.

As for not changing my IDE *shrug* I just found out about VS Express today and was looking into it. I only have one question: did mickeysoft finally create a c++ compiler that actually meets c++ standards requirements?