Sign in to follow this  
Foobar of Integers

Visual Studio 2005 versus 2003.NET

What's the difference? I need to be able to do a C# .NET project that hooks in with some VB.NET code that other people wrote. I know 2003.NET can do this, but can 2005? I have both ($5 each, I <3 student discounts) I've been using 2003.NET for now since I'm sure it will work, but will it be ok to upgrade to VS2005? The main reason I want to use 2005 is that I read somewhere that generics in C# either don't work at all, or don't work as well in VS2003.NET, but work fine in 2005. Can someone clarify this for me?

2005 is a nice upgrade. It can link against anything produced in 2003, too. The question is whether the other people can link against your code, if they're stuck with 2003.

The generics support in .NET 2.0 is very nice -- I have only used it in 2005, so I don't know whether it also works in 2003.

The most awesome feature of 2005 is the parallel (threaded) builds. On dual-core systems, it rocks!

Threaded builds will be nice on my MacBook.

Anyway, I'm not worried if the people using .NET 1.x will be able to link against my stuff, if they need to they'll be able to upgrade to 2005 easily - It's all practically free here.

vc++ v8 2005 is the best c++ ide from microsoft at present time. impressive c++ parser, compiler, and the main ui is great. it is the most c++ compliant.

Kuphryn

Quote:
Original post by kuphryn
vc++ v8 2005 is the best c++ ide from microsoft at present time. impressive c++ parser, compiler, and the main ui is great. it is the most c++ compliant.

Kuphryn

This is true. That compliance will sure help the OP with his C# project.

CM