Sign in to follow this  
NeoFlame

Fonts

Hi this is probably a noob question... but i'm reading Prpgramming RPG with directX 2nd edition, and I'm doing the Font example. I'm using the latest SDK (August 2006) and Visual C++ 2005 Express. The code doesn't compile, even the code in the book doesn't compile. this is the code the book use for initialization and drawing : // Create the font ZeroMemory(&Font, sizeof(Font)); strcpy(Font.lfFaceName, "Arial"); Font.lfHeight = -32; D3DXCreateFontIndirect(g_pD3DDevice, &Font, &g_pFont); *********************************************************************** // Begin scene if(SUCCEEDED(g_pD3DDevice->BeginScene())) { // Draw some text g_pFont->Begin(); g_pFont->DrawText("Programming is Fun!", -1, &Rect, DT_CENTER | DT_VCENTER, 0xFFFFFFFF); g_pFont->End(); // End the scene g_pD3DDevice->EndScene(); } When I compile it, it says : c:\documents and settings\neoflame\my documents\programation\programming rpg with directx\bookcode\chap02\font\winmain.cpp(136) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated 1> c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\string.h(73) : see declaration of 'strcpy' 1> Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcpy_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.' 1>c:\documents and settings\neoflame\my documents\programation\programming rpg with directx\bookcode\chap02\font\winmain.cpp(138) : error C2664: 'D3DXCreateFontIndirectA' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'LOGFONT *' to 'const D3DXFONT_DESCA *' 1> Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast 1>c:\documents and settings\neoflame\my documents\programation\programming rpg with directx\bookcode\chap02\font\winmain.cpp(171) : error C2039: 'Begin' : is not a member of 'ID3DXFont' 1> c:\program files\microsoft directx sdk (august 2006)\include\d3dx9core.h(314) : see declaration of 'ID3DXFont' 1>c:\documents and settings\neoflame\my documents\programation\programming rpg with directx\bookcode\chap02\font\winmain.cpp(172) : error C2660: 'ID3DXFont::DrawTextA' : function does not take 5 arguments 1>c:\documents and settings\neoflame\my documents\programation\programming rpg with directx\bookcode\chap02\font\winmain.cpp(173) : error C2039: 'End' : is not a member of 'ID3DXFont' 1> c:\program files\microsoft directx sdk (august 2006)\include\d3dx9core.h(314) : see declaration of 'ID3DXFont' By looking at the SDK I was able to do this : // Create the font strcpy_s(g_strFont, "Arial"); ZeroMemory(&Font, sizeof(Font)); Font->FaceName = g_strFont; Font->Height = 32; D3DXCreateFontIndirect(g_pD3DDevice, Font, &g_pFont); ************************************************************************ // Begin scene if (SUCCEEDED(g_pD3DDevice->BeginScene())) { // Draw some text //g_pFont->Begin(); g_pFont->DrawText(NULL, "WAAAAZZZZZAAAAPPPP", -1, &Rect, DT_CENTER | DT_VCENTER, 0xFFFFFFFF); //g_pFont->End(); // End the scene g_pD3DDevice->EndScene(); } and this is the mistakes it give me : 1>.\WinMain.cpp(130) : error C2106: '=' : left operand must be l-value This is the "Font->FaceName = g_strFont;" line. and g_strFont is declared as : CHAR g_strFont[LF_FACESIZE]; but i'm still blocked, I wonder if this is the right forum to post it or I should post it in the beginner forum. thanks for answers :-)

I think (but not positively)that it should be:

Font.FaceName = g_strFont;
Font.Height = 32;

ie., your 1st code used 'Font' as a struct; your 2nd code uses it as a class

You should be able to just do
Font->FaceName = "Arial";

If not, you can use a regular string (#include <string>):
string fontName = "Arial";
Font->FaceName = fontName.c_str();

I think either way will work.

I don't see what's wrong with your code though, but this removes some extra stuff that might be causing the problems.
EDIT:
swordfish is right
How is your Font declared?
It should be something like
D3DXFONT_DESC Font;

In which case it's just used like a structure like swordfish showed.

The book, the first code, declare Font as a LOGFONT

me, the second code, declare Font as a D3DXFONT_DESC*

and I tryied to put : string fontName = "Arial";
Font->FaceName = fontName.c_str();

with #include <string.h> but it seems that it donesn't exist :-S : \WinMain.cpp(115) : error C2065: 'string' : undeclared identifier
1>.\WinMain.cpp(115) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'strFontName'
1>.\WinMain.cpp(115) : error C2065: 'strFontName' : undeclared identifier
1>.\WinMain.cpp(133) : error C2228: left of '.c_str' must have class/struct/union
1> type is ''unknown-type''

Oops sorry, you probably need to say
std::string
Or put
using namespace std;
at the top of the code.

Also, you should use
#include<string>
without the .h
Using .h is the "old" way and often will load different headers than the current C++ standard ones. If you do need the old ones (C ones), they are often renamed as cmath instead of math.h for example.
------------------------------
BUT, I don't think that's your problem. So you can just go back to your old way if you prefer.

As far as your Font variable: If you are using it as a pointer to a D3DXFONT_DESC, then the problem may be that the actual structure doesn't exist anywhere in memory. Are you "new"ing it or do you ever assign Font (the pointer) to point to a real D3DXFONT_DESC structure? The pointer has to point to some real place in memory. By real I mean something you created either through new or by having another line with something like:
D3DXFONT_DESC theFontData;
Font = &theFontData;

But you really shouldn't do it that way unless you have to for some other reason. Just make Font the actual structure and send the address in to D3DXCreateFontIndirect with &Font as in the original example.

Thanks

now it's on that line : Font.FaceName = "Arial";

it says that : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'const char [6]' to 'CHAR [32]'

EDIT: see below instead - this still won't work.
Hmm, thought I saw some examples that way, but not sure (probably getting confused with D3DXCreateFont one). Go back to your original way. MSDN says it needs a null terminated TCHAR array (which I think is just a char array, but I'm not clear on all of the special MS type stuff with Unicode).

Your original way will probably work.
strcpy_s(g_strFont, "Arial");
Font.FaceName = g_strFont;

What do you declare g_strFont as?

Hmm, maybe just
Font.FaceName = _T("Arial");
will work. That has something to do with the Unicode conversions, but I try to avoid all that stuff. I would think something like this would work, but not sure.

#include<string>
std::string faceName = "Arial";
Font.FaceName = faceName.c_str();

I can't test things easily now or I'd just try it myself. This may work too:
TCHAR faceName[32];
lstrcpy(faceName, _T("Arial"));
Font.FaceName = faceName;

[Edited by - reana1 on October 2, 2006 6:57:24 PM]

Ok, I got some code I could test it in.
The problem was in the Font.FaceName = ..... lines (which the errors told you, but I didn't understand it till I could get my own code to test).
You'd have to use a strcpy there also, which is why the following works since I just copy directly to the structure member.

D3DXFONT_DESC Font;
strcpy(Font.FaceName, "Arial");
// should need #include <string>, but in my test code
// it worked without it so it must be in windows.h or something

I also saw the following recommended, which has to do with the unicode stuff, but I don't really understand it so can't recommend what's right.
strcpy(Font.FaceName, _T("Arial"));
// needs #include <tchar.h> with the .h here

I couldn't find a strcpy_s on my machine (using VS 2003), so couldn't test that, but I'd think it would work the same as the deprecated version.

This will work too:
std::string strFont = "Arial";
strcpy(Font.FaceName, strFont.c_str());
// needs #include <string>

EDIT:
Oh, and if you do need to use your g_strFont for some reason.
This will work. Not sure if this is how you have g_strFont declared, so I'm guessing based on how I found others using the same variable name online.
char g_strFont[LF_FACESIZE];
strcpy(g_strFont, "Arial");
strcpy(Font.FaceName, g_strFont);

yesssss it worked

just strcpy_s(Font.FaceName, "Arial"); worked (cause it said that strcpy was depreciated, but just strcpy work too no problem)

Thanks so much for your help :-D