How anyone can improve at art

Started by
59 comments, last by Oluseyi 17 years, 6 months ago
Im taking inspiration for this possibility from olyusi's thread. Knowing his goal is to steadly improve, and having the same one for myself makes me think about the fact that anyone with 1/2 hour a day to draw can progress fairly quickly. What about a community competition for the most progress over 1 month, with required twice weekly updates to personal threads that track your progress. Its not a very heavy game-art community around here, and programmers are always complaining about their art/difficulty of finding an artists/how their art sucks. This way, those who are the worst have a leg up on the competition over more experienced artists who have a slower progressions rate. I for one will donate a prize, maybe two. (most progressive beginner artist & most helpfull advanced artist). Anyways, something to think about.
Advertisement
I like the idea for this contest, but I hope it doesn't become a formal "contest" like the GD 4E contest. That attracts more of the "skilled" people who are trying to win, rather than the people who are trying to improve their art. Rather than offering prizes (such as a sweet video card), perhaps simple voting and display on front page/topic page will suffice? Special recognition? Different categories? I certainly support this project.

Cheers,
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
I would definatly join because I just recently decided to improve my non-existent drawing skills. If only I could find a scanner.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Only things is that people could easily cheat by showing one of their really old drawings at the beginnin. Of course, if you don't offer a prize, that isn't as likely to happen, since people won't care as much.
God is not all-powerful, as he cannot build a wall he cannot jump.Stelimar Website: eddy999999.ed.funpic.org/Stelimar/index.html
I'd say a better model might be jwalsh's C++ Workshop. The pleasure of improvement should be reward enough on its own. Because of the nature of drawing, however, we could have each participant create a thread - one, and only one - in which they would continually upload their progress.

In fact, this is pretty much what happens on cgtalk, which is what inspired me to start my own thread on pose and proportion (albeit here, rather than there, partly because this is my community, and partly because I think it's good for others to see me willing to take criticism and be corrected by others, in my quest to improve).

Thoughts?
Yes, one thread and only one thread was what I was thinking, otherwise it gets very cluttered and disorganized.

There will be a prize, hopefully more than one. Its motivation, its something to strive for, it makes it funner.

The whole idea behind the contest is 'improvement', learning to grow through criticism and how to be helpfull and constructive, which is why there would have to be people monitoring consistantly over the month. This essentially removes those extremely experienced artists from winning, and gives 'advanced' or even 'moderate' artists a challenge.

Another way to avoid cheating is to offer a prize that only a begginner would want, say for instance there are three semi-decent art sets available. Anyone with the ability to fake that much content over the period of a month wont need one anyways. I think its worth a shot.

Finally, this is a rather tighter (tighter then some), community, if someone is cheating we will be able to tell. If not, they better make their thread overly convincing so that others can learn from it. This way everyone wins. In fact, gathering lessons and knowledge about how to learn and paths to learning is a good reason to do this if someone has the time to compile it into a usefull resource.
This is a good idea. I've been working on my art skills slowly over the course of the last couple of years, and I've been meaning to put in a bit more effort over the next couple of months. My belief is anyone can learn to do decent art if they just put in the effort and practice a lot.

I'm not sure I want to formally compete for a prize since I'm more interested in improving my own skill, but I'd be happy to post what I'm working on to add to the community effort; most likely in my journal.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I'm not sure I want to formally compete for a prize since I'm more interested in improving my own skill, but I'd be happy to post what I'm working on to add to the community effort; most likely in my journal.

I second that; I would most likely do it for no formal prize. Also, is this going to be 2d hand-drawing only, or can it be a.) tablet-drawing + photoshop work b.) 3d modelling ?
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
Yeah, I'd support it, although I think I may be at the point where the slope on my learning curve is starting to level out to a degree in some respects, but god knows there's stuff that I really need to work on(like complex perspetive).

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Quote:Original post by D Shankar
Also, is this going to be 2d hand-drawing only, or can it be a.) tablet-drawing + photoshop work b.) 3d modelling ?

I would think 2D hand drawing and tablet + photoshop (so long as the emphasis remains on straight drawing techniques, not the use of fancy filters). 3D would be a different workshop.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement