How anyone can improve at art

Started by
59 comments, last by Oluseyi 17 years, 5 months ago
sounds awesome, I would participate as I as well as others here have my artskills field set to null
Advertisement
well I like the response so far, but obviously we would need more people to participate. I think we just might get around 10-20 people if this is presented in the correct manner to the GDnet lounge.

I will write up the announcement post and run it by Oluseyi, if you dont mind sir, and then it can be started.

Where should these threads go so that they dont clutter up the GDnet Visual arts forum, or, is this the best place for them?
Well, this is more appropriate for Oluseyi to answer, but I feel the Visual Arts forum would be best suited. GD.net is primarily for programming and general game dev. business. There are many good visual arts forums such as cgtalk, conceptart, and cgsociety. There aren't that many good programming forums (pure programming, not specific software based, like torque forums). Therefore, GD.net evolved primarily into a programming community, with only 1 tiny forum on visual arts (weird right?). With a large programming community, a C++ workshop can get quite some attention. But with only 1 visual arts forum, where there aren't many people actively posting/participating, a visual arts workshop such as the one we are proposing might not get as much attention as a programming one.

Also, this is a primarily 3d visual arts forum(imo). A 2d workshop might not be attractive if we must display only 2d drawings for 3d artists. Then again, they can improve their pose & structure.

So, I suggest just making a sticky thread with this workshop. Seeing that there are only about 8 people who have agreed to this as of now, and only half of them may even actively participate in the workshop, a full new forum for this "workshop" may be too much. Why don't we just try it out and see if there is much attention? Perhaps down the line, this will have a greater impact in the GD community.

Regards,
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
Quote:Original post by D Shankar
Well, this is more appropriate for Oluseyi to answer, but I feel the Visual Arts forum would be best suited. GD.net is primarily for programming and general game dev. business. There are many good visual arts forums such as cgtalk, conceptart, and cgsociety. There aren't that many good programming forums (pure programming, not specific software based, like torque forums). Therefore, GD.net evolved primarily into a programming community, with only 1 tiny forum on visual arts (weird right?). With a large programming community, a C++ workshop can get quite some attention. But with only 1 visual arts forum, where there aren't many people actively posting/participating, a visual arts workshop such as the one we are proposing might not get as much attention as a programming one.

Also, this is a primarily 3d visual arts forum(imo). A 2d workshop might not be attractive if we must display only 2d drawings for 3d artists. Then again, they can improve their pose & structure.

So, I suggest just making a sticky thread with this workshop. Seeing that there are only about 8 people who have agreed to this as of now, and only half of them may even actively participate in the workshop, a full new forum for this "workshop" may be too much. Why don't we just try it out and see if there is much attention? Perhaps down the line, this will have a greater impact in the GD community.

Quite a succinct analysis. "I am Oluseyi, and I endorse this message." [smile]
Thanks, hehe. Any timeframe you have in mind? I'm thinking until Christmas, and then having a best picture(s) debut on January 1 (New Year's Weekend).
Quote:Original post by D Shankar
Thanks, hehe. Any timeframe you have in mind? I'm thinking until Christmas, and then having a best picture(s) debut on January 1 (New Year's Weekend).

If we go with the workshop model, it's total up to the workshop coordinator how long it goes, and there'd probably simply be a participant gallery at the end, no real "bests."
I wonder if it will cause too much controversy or subjectiveness to have an IOTD or IOTW for this thread (seeing on how it's about improvement and showcasing it). Also I mean the IOTD/W is contained within the thread not put on the main website or anything like that.

I would like to participate as well. Is this starting in 2007 or now?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

ASAP, I guess. Oluseyi and slowpid probably have to have this run by the other staff, and maybe find a workshop mod. 2007 is 3 months away; I'm sure we'll start earlier.
I could get into this! Count me in.
Me me me me me!
Ramblings: http://ivan.rusted.se

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement