Sign in to follow this  
Mastadex

DX accelerated Vector Graphics

Im developing a 2D game and i ws thinking of using quads, but i have always been in awe at vector graphics. I was wondering if there is a way to create vector based graphics (think flash) but run it with the power of DirectX so we can make it hardware accelerated.... is this possible or should i just use bitmap based images?

Yes and no...

With a bit of clever thinking and clever shader usage it's possible to get SVG type results, but there isn't really a feature specifically aimed at this sort of approach. I'm not sure if there are any resources for this, but maybe some other people can point you in the right direction...

On the other hand, D3D10's GS unit should be a pretty good candidate for hardware accelerated SVG - but its not really a viable option yet given the complete lack of hardware [smile]

hth
Jack

Hmm thats not exactly the answer i was expecting, but its ok. I was thinking of putting textures on queads and using something like anti-aliasing to smoth them out. Or possibly phong shaders.

Could anyone direct me to any resource that would help me out with learing about shaders that would make my game look like its vector based?

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Yes and no...

With a bit of clever thinking and clever shader usage it's possible to get SVG type results, but there isn't really a feature specifically aimed at this sort of approach. I'm not sure if there are any resources for this, but maybe some other people can point you in the right direction...

On the other hand, D3D10's GS unit should be a pretty good candidate for hardware accelerated SVG - but its not really a viable option yet given the complete lack of hardware [smile]

hth
Jack

I've been tinkering with vector synthesis lately, to get some interesting material for our book; while my initial tests seem promising quality-wise, it is true that the reference rasterizer can be a pain to work with sometimes due to lack of raw performance.

Ah i see. so maybe vector graphics might not be the best way to go. Although I would really love to incorporate the sahder work that makes my game look atleast as beautiful as vector graphics, so if anyone could point me to any resource that would be awesome.

Also, This game im making was originally intended for the XNA but since its still in beta and, well, not exactly C++ friendly, I was thinking of using dtraight DirectX until XNA grew more mature.