Sign in to follow this  
discman1028

PS = 2.0, VS = 0.0?

I'm looking at the DX caps viewer for my card (integrated Intel 82945G Express) to see if I can do minimal graphics development on it. I'm looking for vertex/pixel shaders 2.0 or higher. The caps viewer says: VertexShaderVersion = 0.0 PixelShaderVersion = 2.0 Can someone translate what the '0.0' means? I only have fixed-function vertex processing? Thanks.

I've not got an IGP chipset to hand (not at work) but I've read about this sort of result many a time. My basic understanding is that the Intel IGP's have hardware PS units (albeit nothing fancy) and then emulate the VS via the main CPU (aka software vp).

Try creating your device with D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEX_PROCESSING and requery the caps - see if it then shows up as VS_2_0...

hth
Jack

Yep, Intel chipsets provide hardware PS but do VS in software. So you'll need to request software VP when you create the device. Other than that, things will work normally.

well see, microsoft made 1 error when they invented the whole "caps" idea ... they forgot that there are THREE states for a feature - accelerated, emulated, unavailable. So what you get is a situation where some aspects are reported for their efficient accelrated status (the original intention of CAPS was to find out what the code SHOULD do with the card, so in general it is assumed you only SHOULD use the efficient features in general) ... other things report what you CAN do, including driver provided software support. Soemtimes that's appropriate, such as cases where the software emulated version is full speed, just waste 10-15% CPU utilization.

Obviousy to account for this common situation they decided to give the the "best" of both worlds. See a computer can have multiple video accelerators, so which one you query affects what results you get .. in this case you have 1 card, with 2 logical profiles - hardware only mode, and software augmented mode. So what you ask for affects what you get :).