How best to make this

Started by
8 comments, last by squall789 17 years, 6 months ago
Of course like everyone else here I have a game idea I want to come to life. But I decided ot start SMALL at 1st and then my 3rd-6th game will be what i always wanted. So i recently acquired UNREAL ENGINE 2 RUNTIME, Now its on the website in case anyon thinks i cracked it and stuff. But i am at fault with this engine. I knwo i cant edit the ACTUAL sourcecode, thats Obvious as its not assessable only the UNREALSCRIPT is editable, But that shows everything As far as i know. But i wondered if i HAVE to make a FPS type game in it. Because i KNOW splinter Cell was maed with the UNREAL ENGINE and im wondering if its POSSIBLE for ME to replicate that(obiovusly with a large team a lot of money and time). I dont PLAN on doing it now but maybe one day id like to. But the way the game is played is 10000% diffeent to UNREAL itself. So im wondering WHAT i CAN and CANT do with the engine. Ie:no you cant make a NON FPS game as the engine doesnt support it in the version you have.. I also have THE FULL c++ code for the UNREAL TORNAMENT 2004, im wondering if THIS is any better then the runtime, because i was told it was, I dont want to code LOOOADS on both id rather find out whats better then go from there. If anyone can help itd be GREATLY appreciated. - squall789
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by squall789
But i wondered if i HAVE to make a FPS type game in it.

You don't. There are limitations of course, but it should be possible to make, for example, a racing game. If you know your stuff.

I also have THE FULL c++ code for the UNREAL TORNAMENT 2004, im wondering if THIS is any better then the runtime, because i was told it was, I dont want to code LOOOADS on both id rather find out whats better then go from there.

It certainly is much better, and probably highly illegal. Isn't that supposed to cost hundreds of thousands?
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
I would recommend you get The Torque Game Engine as it will be easy to modify into what you need, and best of all it only cost 100USD.
------------------This is so stupid!
You seem to be confused about what actually an engine is. It's not the game type or what, it's the tech that renders the game, plays the sound, handles the input, manages the art assets for you, and so on. Usually, game-code is written on top of an engine, not integrated into it. On the other hand, an engine written for a FPS often is engineered with specific situations in mind, which can make it less suitable for totally different game types as they might require different situations.

For example, an engine built specifically for ingame 3D levels can be hard to use for an open terrain 3D RTS. Having that said, the Unreal looks quite flexible to me - Brothers in Arms was made with it as well, which featured quite open terrains.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
lineage 2 uses unreal engine, its an outdoor MMORPG...totally different gameplay then an fps and it runs well on low-end machines. The creators of L2 did it, so its possible.
But I decided ot start SMALL at 1st

Starting with Unreal 2 is not 'starting small', it's 'starting really freaking huge'. At a guess you don't have any programming experience, in which case a good starting point might be doing tetris using Python and PyGame or similar.
Quote:Original post by NegativeGeForce
lineage 2 uses unreal engine, its an outdoor MMORPG...totally different gameplay then an fps and it runs well on low-end machines. The creators of L2 did it, so its possible.

Yea, NC Soft "heavily modified" the unreal engine to work with their game. I'm reading that Vanguard is also using a heavily modified unreal engine (2.5 I think). It's cool to see there are a big number of mmorpg's being made in UE3 now, some really cool stuff from south korea as well, but I guess thats a sepreate topic.

Makes ya wonder just how much it took to modify an engine for a game such as Lineage 2, since the entire world is fluid and consistent including dungeons instead of zones. Compared to an FPS, which is likely designed to load in a map at any given time of a much smaller size. But a company like NCSoft has the talent and budget to do that, you give someone like me a license alone and I wont know what I'm supposed to do with it :P
Quote:Original post by RAZORUNREAL
It certainly is much better, and probably highly illegal. Isn't that supposed to cost hundreds of thousands?

lol.
I got the source OFF OF the Unreal Wiki Website itself, No crack or anything of that sort,(at least Id imagine it was LEGIT 100% if EPIC are offering on the Wiki) It has the Original C++ ENGINE files inside it.
Its also on Source Forge, Its form UT2004 though, So that makes it ALMOST 3 years old now so they released the source code for it.

But yes thankyou, So i will just use th UT2004 engine then, thankyou very much.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/UnrealScript_Source THERE is the link to the unreal Wiki section where they have the Source codes for the older versions Avaliable.
I provided that ot PROVE to anyone who thinks its illegal, i dont want Lawyers to my door because of a mistake on someone elses part.
(U dont know this forum WELL so ul have to copy and past that link into your EXPLORER bar.
I also have THE FULL c++ code for the UNREAL TORNAMENT 2004

Quote:Original post by BeyondUnreal.com
Original UnrealScript sources [...] and excerpts from engine C++ code

?
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
I also have THE FULL c++ code for the UNREAL TORNAMENT 2004

Quote:Original post by BeyondUnreal.com
Original UnrealScript sources [...] and excerpts from engine C++ code

?

Yes maybe its not the FULL thing then.
I realised that jsut now when i checkout out MORE of the folders.
It seems thee ONLY ONE with ANY C++ inside it is ENGINE.
If anyone wants PROOF then downlaod it yourself or il post a screen shot from INSIDE that ENGINE folder

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement