Sign in to follow this  
KumGame

Function Pointers

Hi all.. I want some help on array of function pointers in C++. I have a class consisting of few functions.. class A { public : void f1(); void f2(); ..... } In my main() I have something like, main() { void (A::*fptr[2])(); fptr[0] = &A::f1(); fptr[1] = &A::f2(); fptr[0](); // doesn't work } Now, how can I invoke those functions f1() & f2() ? I have tried placing the array of function pointers within the class but no result.

A pointer to a (non-static; static member functions are treated just like free functions for the purpose of this discussion) member function is NOT the same kind of thing as an ordinary pointer to a function (or a pointer to anything else for that matter). It represents the abstract concept of "the ability of objects of class A to do f1". But in order to make use of that, you have to have an object of class A, yeah?

To do this, we need (a) an A object, as noted, and (b) some rather funky syntax: the '.*' operator.

A a;
(a.*(fptr[0]))(); // should work

Basically, this is like dereferencing the pointer to get the concept "f1 function of A objects", which is then a valid value to use for member-selecting out of 'a'. The result of that is "bound member function f1 of A object a", which can then be invoked using ().

More here.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by KumGame

I was not aware of '.*' ...

then you might want to read your C/C++ tutorial again, the "." accesses struct/class members, while the "*" dereferences a pointer, thus ".*" dereferences a struct/class pointer. Pretty straightforward in itself and not at all funky syntax.